Kandersteg cloudy, raining – rodelbahn still running, hiking possible?

• SamIam
    Participant
    97 posts
    22 March 2024 at 19:47:50 #1308156

hello there! We are planning to go to Kandersteg in June and we are just wondering if it is still ok to hike up Oeschinsee even if the weather forecast is 73% cloud cover and intervals of some showers ? I know the weather is unpredictable but we just want to know if we need to plan an alternative..what is a good alternative for a hike on a cloudy / slight rainy day?  will the rodelbhan stop when it rains? Thanks in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6384 posts
    22 March 2024 at 21:24:01 #1308164

Hi samlam,

I think it’s still possible to do a bit of hiking in Kandersteg and Oeschinensee even when it’s raining a little or cloudy. The rodelbahn won’t stop operating unless there’s a severe weather warning.

The best thing to do is to check the weather forecast and the mountain webcam before you go, possibly the night before or the morning right before your trip. As you mentioned, the weather can be unpredictable  – it might be cloudy or rainy in the morning, in the afternoon it could be warm and sunny.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Anna

SamIam
    Participant
    97 posts
    23 March 2024 at 13:00:07 #1310606

Thank you so much for the answer Anna! Now our alternative is the Mannlichen to Kleinescheidegg hike but all info that I have read is that this trail opens mid June and we are only around the area until June 11 😅. Do you think the trail is open the week of June 10? How about another alternative hike: Kleinscheidegg to Wengernalp and then we will take the train to Wengen thereafter? Is it also open by by June 10? Where can we look if these trails are open?  So our first choice is Kandersteg and our option 2 Mannlichen to KS and option 3 is KS to Wengernalp. Your input is very very much appreciated 🤗🤗.

davel4848
    Participant
    2 posts
    23 March 2024 at 18:59:42 #1310616

We did the walk from Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg in June last year. It was a little damp but quite do-able. The scenery on this walk is fantastic, with the Eiger towering over you all the way.

Enjoy your trip.

SamIam
    Participant
    97 posts
    24 March 2024 at 1:41:45 #1310642

Thank you davel4848. Do you happen to remember what date you did the Panoramic hike? We are hoping they are open on the week of June 10. We want to do this as well . Thank you! 😊

Yolanda
    2373 posts
    24 March 2024 at 21:52:27 #1311001

Hi Samlam,

It really is weather dependent.  Generally the trails open up for hiking in June but it’s tricky to give an exact date as it will depend on the weather these next few months.  I’d suggest nearer the time, to connect up with the local tourist office and check in on the trail’s status.

The below should be accessible in June too:

Kind regards,

Yolanda

SamIam
    Participant
    97 posts
    25 March 2024 at 4:17:22 #1311018

Thank you so much Yolanda! I am praying it will be open by June 10 🤞. You guys are so awesome!

Anna
    6384 posts
    25 March 2024 at 20:43:00 #1315111

Hi samlam,

You can check the live webcam for Männlichen here: http://www.maennlichen.ch/en/live.html

Information about the trail is available here: https://www.myswissalps.com/blog/hike-mannlichen-kleine-scheidegg/

Regards,

Anna

SamIam
    Participant
    97 posts
    25 March 2024 at 23:59:58 #1315124

This will be a big help Anna! Thank you so much! If ever the trail is open we have a choice between taking Grindenwald to Mannlichen or Wengen to Mannlichen. Is the Wengen to Mannlichen cable car ride steeper?  I remembered my son felt dizzy when we did the Murren to Stechelberg cable car ride before? is this comparable with the Wengen to Mannlichen cable car ride? I am just trying to see which is better . Thanks again!

Alpenrose555
    Participant
    344 posts
    26 March 2024 at 4:01:30 #1315125

Hi Samlam,

The slope Grindelwald-Männlichen is much more gradual than that on the Wengen side, but the Wengen-Männlichen cable car, while it is steep, is not as steep as that from Stechelberg to Gimmelwald.

If your son gets dizzy on steep cable-car rides, Grindelwald Terminal to Männlichen would be the better choice I think.

Hope this helps!

Alpenrose

Anna
    6384 posts
    26 March 2024 at 10:13:59 #1318709

Hi Samlam,

The cable car ride between Männlichen and Wengen takes approx. 15 minutes. This cable car is bigger than the ones that take you from Stechelberg to Mürren so maybe you won’t feel as dizzy. But I think that depends on each person.

Männlichen travel guide: https://www.myswissalps.com/activity/mannlichen/

Regards,

Anna

SamIam
    Participant
    97 posts
    27 March 2024 at 2:17:23 #1322168

Thank you alpenrose!

Alpenrose555
    Participant
    344 posts
    28 March 2024 at 5:47:47 #1335997

Hi Samlam,

>> I remembered my son felt dizzy when we did the Murren to Stechelberg cable car ride before? is this comparable with the Wengen to Mannlichen cable car ride?

I thought it might be worth mentioning – in case it matters – that the ride from Grindelwald to Männlichen is in a 10-seater gondola, not a cable car.

The Stechelberg cable car that you used previously probably takes around 100 passengers, is stationary while passengers board, most passengers have to stand, and there is a driver on board.

Gondolas circulate on a ropeway that constantly moves, and passengers step into the gondola as it is moving past them (very slowly). All passengers are seated – in this case up to 5 passengers on each side of the cabin – and there is no driver on board.

This article here might interest you, and has a picture of the gondola:

https://www.maennlichen.ch/en/winter/information/about-us.html

Hope the journey works out well for you and your son!

Alpenrose

SamIam
    Participant
    97 posts
    29 March 2024 at 13:51:08 #1340456

This is so precious information! Thank you so much!

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.