Koblenz to Milan itinerary help for December

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 March 2018 at 12:41:34 #814803

We are 2 West Aussie’s travelling to Amsterdam to Slovenia… 2nd forum request, need help with the itinerary. We leave Amsterdam on the 4th Dec, and was going to stop in Koblenze the night. That is as far as I can get without becoming confused about how long to stay, either in 1 place or better to move every few days? As long as we are in Slovenia by 22nd Dec.. We would like to see as much as we can.including any of the Christmas markets.

1) where after Koblenz would be best to stay to do day trips? For how long? Is there a not so touristy town that we could stay in and still do sightseeing? Not interested in real big cities😀

2) wanting to do the Bernina Express Train and bus trip so would Chur be the place to stay?

3) what would be the best travel pass to buy? and why? Does that cover Bernina Express?

4) what is the average temperature in December? Do I need to have waterproof boots? We Dont Have Snow Here So Have No Idea What I might need 😀

5) Can you Buy The Salt Prepaid Sim anywhere.?

THANKS in advance for any help ☺

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 March 2018 at 14:02:10 #878952

Hi maksaust,

1. Why Koblenz? Did something there attract you? Also, what kind of sightseeing do you want to do? Are you interested in going up into the mountains? skiing? Just visit local Swiss towns & markets?
    2. Yes, but I don’t believe the bus from Tirano to Lugano will be running in December (they did start limited winter trips this year but only in February I believe).
    3. It depends on what your final itinerary is. Once you have that planned out you can calculate the best rail pass for the trip. Have a look here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/train/ticketspas ses/practical/choosera ilpass
    4. In the most towns and cities (valleys/lowlands) I would guess the average temperature is maybe 3/4 degrees in December. That is about what it was in Zurich last year. We did not get a lot of rain which is nice but you will come into snow if you head into the mountains so waterproof hiking shoes are a good idea.
    5. Yes, any Salt shop or look at the alternatives here.

Are you ending your trip in Slovenia or Milan? Your title of the post and the actual message confused me. 🙂

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 March 2018 at 19:00:11 #878953

As far as I know you can only get a Salt SIM at a Salt store not one of There many partners. That was the case in May 2017. You can find stores via http://www.salt.ch/en/store-locator/?search=.

But given you are on a European odyssey a SIM with broader coverage would make more sense I think. Unless you are happy to swap SIMs country to country.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 March 2018 at 0:26:19 #878954

Only reason for Koblenz is the more scenic train trip for Rhine River from Amsterdam. Another idea welcome. This is first time in Switzerland, and hoping for a white Christmas in Slovenia where we have friends. We are interested to do as much as we can. Having looked at other items on the forum we have the time to do it all. We probably wont get another opportunity to come again. Going up the mountain is definite interest, doing the cogwheel train, cable car etc …only thing we not skiers. Is there possibky 1 place to stay, to see all, or is it better to move?. We like to do our own trips, but if there is a day tour that would be of interest we can look at. Like little towns in preference too cities. The tourist towns are usually expensive, but if that is where we have to go then that is fine. Would do local towns and markets also. Our trip ends in Slovenia. If you have ideas after Bernina Express to Slovenia. We do have a travel sim card so will be able to use that. Thanks for any help 😀

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 March 2018 at 1:14:30 #878955

I would say the most scenic part of the Rhine by train is actually between Koblenz and Bingen which is on the route for Koblenz to Mainz or Franfurt. I think it is probably more scenic from the water as you go at a more sedate pace than on the train. There are local ferries that ply the river between Rüdesheim am Rhein and Koblenz if you have time for a stopover in the area. Frankfurt to Basel is about 2.5 hours on an ICE train.

As for the Bernina Express even though the Bernina Bus is not running you can still go from Chur to Tirano and then as I said in response to you earlier thread (http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/amsterdam-to-slovenia-via-bernina-express) you could go on to Slovenia via Milan and Venice.

As to what to do with the rest of your time in Switzerland it is hard to know where to start.

The Jungfrau Region in the Bernese Oberland (http://www.myswissalps.com/be rneseoberland) is very beautiful and will give you a good range of mountains, cog-wheels and cable cars. Maybe look a spending a while in one of the mountain villages such as Wengen.

I’m sure you get some more suggestions from other contributors.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 March 2018 at 2:09:31 #878956

>> Only reason for Koblenz is the more scenic train trip for Rhine River from Amsterdam

To ensure you get the scenic route along the Rhine, and not the fast route that avoids the river, the information in my post of May 9, 2017 – 2:42 AM on the following page might be useful:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/scenic-train-route-from-interlaken-to-london

Alpenrose

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 March 2018 at 2:48:03 #878957

Hi Alpenrose,

When I said “I would say the most scenic part of the Rhine by train is actually between Koblenz and Bingen” I should have mentioned that it wasn’t that impressive compared to most of what we saw in Switzerland.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 March 2018 at 9:10:01 #878958

Hi maksaust,

I would probably base myself in two areas. The Jungfrau region will give you all the mountains you want to experience, and some others that are nice are located around Lucerne.

I’m not sure that larger touristy towns are that much more expensive than smaller ones here – everything is rather pricey here. 🙂

Christmas markers can be found in almost every town and city here but they aren’t always open (smaller towns only have a market for a few days as the market moves to another town). Have a look at this report on last years xmas markets and this report as well. Also, we have some suggestions listed here.
    If you come into Switzerland around Basel you could more easily check out Colmar or Strasbourg markets in France as well (quite well known).

A nice scenic train ride is the Golden Pass route: Lucerne to Interlaken to Zweisimmen to Montreux. A nice side trip on the way could be a stop in Gstaad and even a trip to the Glacier 3000 – read my recent trip report here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 March 2018 at 13:31:19 #878959

Thank you for the information… gives me a good starting point. Doing the river cruise from Koblenz to Bingen is good suggestion. Is it easy to catch a train from there and where would you suggest the to go to?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 March 2018 at 19:35:28 #878960

Hi MaksAust,

We are heading a bit off piste as far as this Swiss forum is concerned but for what it’s worth see http://www.kdrhine.com/

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 March 2018 at 23:07:50 #878961

Thanks for info… I was thinking same,😀😀😀 wanting to get back on train track to Switzerland, after cruise drop off at Maine?. Wasnt sure where my best destination would be, would it be Zurich?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    17 March 2018 at 23:40:21 #878962

ICE trains would get you to Basel. That will be your most likely border town. From there you can go wherever suits in Switzerland. Lucerne or Zurich are within easy reach. Zermatt may look pretty at that time of year.

Another alternative is to jump off the ICE train at Offenburg and take the Black Forest Railway in the direction of Konstanz which is at the eastern end of Switzerland and about an hour from Zurich. Depends how much time you have.

Using the Deutsche Bahn website (http://www.bahn.com/en/view/i ndex.shtml) you can often get cheap saver tickets from German cities through to Swiss cities.

• The thread ‘Koblenz to Milan itinerary help for December’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11160 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.