Lucerne + other city with baby itinerary help

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 June 2017 at 22:41:27 #812296

Hello. My family and I (parent in 50s, my husband and I (late 20s, early 30s), 2 teenagers and our then 5 and a half month baby will be traveling to Switzerland from London in July. We will be going for 6-7 days and will be flying to and from Zurich.

What I was thinking was to have 2 bases for the whole trip and move around from there to minimize moving a lot with our baby. Preferably not have to travel long between the 2 bases and to and from Zurich.

The idea was to head straight to Lucerne from the airport and stay there for 3 nights. We would be taking trips from there, i.e. the lake and so on.

After that we want to visit an area in Bernese Oberland area but I am still unsure where. Thinking of Interlaken, Lauterbrunnen or Grindelwald. I understand that it is not advisable to go on mountains higher than 2000m so please keep that in mind.

Which one would you recommend in Bernese Oberland? Or would it be too much of a hassble with a baby and would you rather recommend that we only stay in Lucerne for the full 5 nights?

On the 6th day we will travel back from Bernese Oberland to Zurich and fly back to London.

We are not looking for a veryy active trip. Just taking it easy and enjoying the views and do some sightseeing. Hiking and the likes are not of our interests but we would still love to see the mountains and go up on some (not very high) ones.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

• Annika
    7126 posts
    17 June 2017 at 11:40:06 #865241

Thanks for joining us, Nfjsajwani!

Two base towns for a 7 day trip sounds doable. You’d be fine with Lucerne as a base for the whole period too I think. It’s a lively and charming town with lots of nearby attractions. It just depends on how eager you are to explore the Bernese Oberland too. If that’s high on your list, I’d indeed pick a base town there as well to avoid long travels from and back to Lucerne. Basically all towns there are fine; it just depends on what you’re looking for. I suggest you compare them through myswissalps.com/jungfr auregion (scroll down) and see what appeals to you. They’re all at safe altitudes for your baby, no worries there. Due to altitude sickness risks I’d avoid the highest mountain tops like Titlis, Schilthorn and Jungfraujoch, but there are plenty of others to choose from that are less high. Please refer to

You can check traveling times for each trip using the timetable.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 June 2017 at 16:14:04 #865242

Hello,

I just came back from the Swiss trip, also travelled with baby (16 months).

If you are staying for 5 nights, I suggest to stay in Lucerne itself. If it is more then 5 nights, then, you can think of another base.

From Lucerne, you can do Rigi, Pilatus, boat trips etc. The town itself is very beautiful.

We have also done a day trip from Lucerne to LauterBrunnen, Murren and Wengen. All these villages are very beautiful.

Ravi

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 June 2017 at 18:21:52 #865243

Hi Ravi,

Hope you had a great trip.

I am also coming to swiss with my 22 months old baby in the starting of september for 8 days

Need your suggestions with respect to Stroller Or baby carrier, which one is more convenient?Can we take .stroller in cable car during trip to Rigi/Pilatus/Titlis etc.

Did you go to Titlis or any high altitude alps? How was your experience with baby going over there?

Any suggestion that we need to keep in our mind while travelling with baby in swiss.

-Deepak

• The thread ‘Lucerne + other city with baby itinerary help’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11120 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.