Boat from Lucerne to Flüelen – 1st class vs 2nd class

• alad
    Participant
    35 posts
    5 April 2024 at 5:46:56 #1368994

Hello,

During our trip at the end of May, we’re considering taking a boat ride from Luzern to Flüelen, departing at either 9:12 a.m. or 10:12 a.m. We’ll be traveling with a 2nd Class Swiss Travel Pass. Could you please provide information on the differences between first and second class on the boats? We’re wondering if it’s worthwhile to upgrade to first class. Additionally, I’m uncertain which boats are designated for this specific trip from Luzern to Flüelen. The link provided (https://www.lakelucerne.ch/en/your-cruise-experience/explore/our-fleet/) lists several boats, but it’s unclear which ones serve this route.

Regarding the point-to-point upgrade, I noticed that the SBB mobile app doesn’t have an option for “Swiss Travel Pass,” but it does offer “Half Fare Travelcard.” Would selecting this option suffice for the upgrade?

(I’ve a similar query regarding boat rides on Lake Thun (from Interlaken-Thun). Is it worth upgrading to first class?)

Thank you

Amol

• pvonk
    Participant
    385 posts
    5 April 2024 at 16:38:03 #1371648

I’ve traveled on this trip several times using a first class Swiss Travel Pass (https://www.myswissalps.com/travel-ticket/swiss-travel-pass/) and wouldn’t think of doing the trip using second class.  First class sits on the top level where part of the area is in the open and part is sheltered.  There are fewer people on that level, although May should not be a problem in second class. I’ve traveled in July and in September, and during the busy season (July-August) the second class in the lower deck (all inside) can get very full.

Yolanda
    2387 posts
    6 April 2024 at 20:50:18 #1374110

Hi amol,

In addition to Pvonk’s helpful reply, I agree, if you prefer less crowds I’d upgrade to 1st – 1st is on the upper decks so the view would be better too: https://www.myswissalps.com/activity/boat-lake-lucerne/.  I would assume this would apply for the boats on Lake Thun aswell.

In regard to upgrading, yes, you can use “Swiss Half Fare Card” box, if you have the Swiss Travel Pass.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    7 April 2024 at 11:14:51 #1374138

Hi Amol,

I traveled on the boat/ferry from Lucerne to Fleulen 5 years ago. At that time, it took off from landing 1, which is basically the first one on the left, when coming out of the train station. Directly under the Welckomen arch, outside of the train station, walk straight through (under it), and l the landing is right there. To the right of the landing should be an info stand (kiosk) for the boat rides. They should be able to answer any questions you have and perhaps be able to upgrade your ticket to first class on the boat. If you are there the day or night before exploring the town, perhaps stop by that kiosk to inquire. The cruise to Fluelen is basically three hours. I did that on the first leg of the Gotthard Panoramic Express, departing at 1000, and the train was right there waiting at 1300, for departure to Lugano for the second leg. Again, that was 5+ years ago (in September), but I would assume it’s about the same now. I had a second class STP, and it was very crowded upon departure. However, by the third or fourth stop, it thinned out more and more as we went on. By the time we got to Fluelen, it was nearly empty. There is a large area for luggage/baggage, etc, in the mid section just forward of the restaurant, which also subsequently thinned out with each stop as people departed. I don’t know if there is a baggage storage up topside as well, in first class. Perhaps pvonk can chime on that? (Or anyone else that may be familiar with that?) Else, you may need to go down at each stop to keep eyes on any luggage you may have. But to answer your question, the only difference between 1st and 2nd class is the upper, or lower deck, and the crowd, depending on the time of year you’re there. Have a great trip.

Regards,

Danielsan

alad
    Participant
    35 posts
    7 April 2024 at 14:51:50 #1374474

Thank you everyone for your responses. Our primary goal for the boat trip from Lucerne to Flüelen is sightseeing. Since it’s a three-hour journey, do we need to go all the way to Flüelen, or can we disembark at a midpoint without “missing out” on anything? If yes, then where should we disembark (and return to Lucerne by train)

Anna
    6390 posts
    8 April 2024 at 10:32:39 #1374510

Hi alad,

If you have a tight schedule, there’s no need to travel on the boat from Lucerne to Flüelen for 3 hours. If you’d like to stop midway, I suggest in Vitznau or Brunnen, then take the train back to Lucerne.

You can also combine you boat cruise with mountain excursions. You can find further details here: https://www.myswissalps.com/activity/boat-lake-lucerne/

Regards,

Anna

alad
    Participant
    35 posts
    8 April 2024 at 11:03:03 #1374513

Thanks a lot Anna!

Alpenrose555
    Participant
    349 posts
    9 April 2024 at 5:10:34 #1378537

Hi alad,

>> Since it’s a three-hour journey, do we need to go all the way to Flüelen, or can we disembark at a midpoint without “missing out” on anything? If yes, then where should we disembark (and return to Lucerne by train)

In my opinion, you would be missing the best views of all if you don’t go all the way to Flüelen. The character of that end of the lake is quite different from the areas closer to Luzern.

However, if you don’t have enough time to fit the whole trip in, you will certainly have an enjoyable cruise and see some lovely scenery for whatever section you decide to include.

The only stop before Flüelen where you can connect with a train that takes you back to Luzern (either direct, or with a transfer at Arth-Goldau or Rotkreuz) is Brunnen. From the boat dock at Brunnen, you have a walk of about 10-15 minutes to the Brunnen railway station.

At any other stop, you will need to take a bus to connect to a railway station. Use the SBB timetable to plan how to get back to Luzern from your chosen boat dock:

https://www.sbb.ch/en

Hope this helps you decide what suits you best!

Alpenrose

alad
    Participant
    35 posts
    9 April 2024 at 5:16:49 #1378538

Thanks a lot Alpenrose. We will be now going all the way to Flüelen. Thank you very much!

Alpenrose555
    Participant
    349 posts
    9 April 2024 at 5:22:21 #1378540

You’re welcome! I hope you have a lovely day for your cruise!

Alpenrose

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    9 April 2024 at 11:02:31 #1381607

Hi alad,

I have to agree with Alpenrose in that the scenery is different beyond Brunnen. I was at Stoos this past September and was looking at that section from far above, and it reminded me of looking down into a fjord. Very similar to being in Norway. (See pic.) Coincidentally, I did take the boat back from Brunnen to Lucerne after visiting Stoos. It was a nice and relaxing two hour cruise into Lucerne, but it did miss the fjord like area. I’ve looked at trains to Fluelen from Lucerne, which start early, but the earliest boat from Fluelen back to Lucerne (via Brunnen) looks like the same time the 1000 boat from Lucerne arrives in Fluelen, which is around 1300. From Fleulen to Brunnen, the boat is just less than an hour. But it is later in the day. The train to Lucerne (from Brunnen) is just about an hour. So you do have some options. Either way, you will see some beautiful sights wherever you go. Again, have a great trip.

Regards,

Danielsan

Never mind on any pics. Just not happening

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    9 April 2024 at 11:14:47 #1381888

Hi Arno,

I hope you can delete the last two repeat posts. All I wanted to do was attach 3 pics and all went kaflooey.

Thanks Danielsan

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11110 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.