Hiking the Männlichen-Kleine Scheidegg panorama trail in mid June

• autumnz
    Participant
    83 posts
    4 May 2024 at 13:04:07 #1496189

Hi!

We traveled to Switzerland in 2018 and had an amazing time.  I fell in love the the Jungfrau Region and I am planning to visit again June 15-20 in 2025.

BUT!  I realized the Mannilichen panorama trail could still be closed and I cannot change my dates (after Switzerland we are flying from Zurich to take a cruise from Southampton).

What are the chances of it being open and being able walk amongst the cows?  It was my favorite 😍

Any other things closed/to be aware of mid June?

We are planning 1 week based in Wengen (followed by 3-4 days in Lucerne).

We are looking forward to light hiking and beautiful scenery.

• Mark
    Participant
    806 posts
    5 May 2024 at 14:07:48 #1497217

There’s no way to predict for sure if the trail will be passable in mid June but I would guess your chances are 50% or better. There have been years when the trail is closed until early July but with global warming I think your chances are good it will be open.

Mark

Stay informed and inspired with the latest forum discussions e-mailed to you every day. Valuable questions and answers to help with your travel planning.

Yolanda
    2486 posts
    5 May 2024 at 14:14:39 #1497219

Hi autumnz,

Thanks for sharing your plans (and photos from your last trip).  How nice to be returning to Switzerland 🙂

The Männlichen Panorama Trail to Kleine Scheidegg (https://www.myswissalps.com/blog/hike-mannlichen-kleine-scheidegg/)  is generally open June to October but it really is weather dependent. This year the cable cars to Männlichen re-open on May 25th (https://www.myswissalps.com/activity/mannlichen/).  How the trail itself could remain closed due to bad weather – if there has been recent heavy rain, the trail could be deemed too slippery for hiking, similarly if there is snow on the trail and there has not been sufficient time to groom the trail for hiking.  We’ve had a lot of late snow this season.

I would say mid June, you should be safe to enjoy the trail though but nearer the time I would perhaps contact the local tourist office for exact trail status.  Similarly most of the mountain transport should be open again after the seasonal break.

Please find attached our Wengen and Lucerne guides in the below, you’ll find lots of useful information including what to expect, activity ideas & accommodation suggestions:

We have a dedicated hiking section, within you can search hikes by region:

If you have anything in particular, do you feel free to reach out.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

kim11
    Participant
    608 posts
    5 May 2024 at 20:48:52 #1497277

Very handy map that indicates which trails are open and which are closed. Updated frequently

https://maps.jungfrauferien.ch/hiking/

autumnz
    Participant
    83 posts
    7 May 2024 at 18:31:42 #1507455

Thank you so much!

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11390 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.