Mike”s two weeks in Switzerland on his own

• MikeHw
    Participant
    7 posts
    11 October 2023 at 16:09:44 #830892

Switzerland 2023

I had never thought to return to Switzerland so soon after losing Maggie to Covid. However, I realised that the longer I left a return the more difficult it would be.

Because Maggie had enjoyed doing the planning I had very little idea how to go abut it. I booked the flights early knowing that the earlier I booked the cheaper it would be. I spoke to the owner of the apartment where we had stayed and I booked the two weeks I wanted in mid-September. I also found some Swiss francs which Maggie had hidden away. She believed that small businesses in Switzerland like to deal in cash because every bank transaction costs in terms of bank fees and taxes. I was ready.

At 5.45am on Monday 11th September I took a taxi to Birmingham Airport for a 9.00am flight. The ride to the airport only took 20 minutes and we always like to have a little more than the two hours recommended for check-in. I arrived before 6.30am and was directed to the queue. It took one and a half hours to check in my case and get a boarding card. I hurried to security and was another 40 minutes to get through so I had to rush to get to the gate in time. Then the flight was delayed. We boarded 30 minutes late and took off at 9.30am. The flight was uneventful as it usually is with Swiss. However at Zurich Baggage reclaim was slow and I missed my train to Thun!

I reached the apartment at 6.15pm, left my bags and went to the local supermarket to buy essentials like milk and bread. There I was told they could not accept my Swiss francs because the notes were too old! I had to use my Credit Card which cost me extra.

Tuesday 12th September I went to Interlaken on the boat and wandered around, looked in on our friends who have a shop selling woodcarvings. Gabriella showed me some new things she had been carving; She used to carve lots of bears because that was what people were buying. But now she has been making other things – marmots, foxes, eagles, steinbok….. Returned to Thun on the bus which runs along the northern shore of Thunersee.

Wednesday 13th September I caught the train into Thun to visit the market for fresh produce – tomatoes, cucumber, lettuce, salad onions, cheese… I spent the afternoon wandering around Thun just remembering.

Thursday 14th September I made the long train journey to St Gallen to visit the beautiful library.

Friday 15th September I took the train to Bern just to wander around the city and remember previous visits. Bern was very busy but the Minster was quiet and peaceful I was beginning to have some difficulty walking so returned early to rest.

Saturday 16th September I decided to go to Allmendhubel as Maggie wanted to go there on every visit. She enjoyed taking photographs on the flowers on the Flower Trail and then sitting looking at the mountains Moench, Eiger, Jungfrau. There is a lovely view at the cable car station. Today it was very crowded; there were many families and many families because the weather was fine and warm. It was not as relaxing and happy a day as I should have liked.

Sunday 17th September I had been searching for an Alpine Garden to visit as she enjoyed these, but it had to be below 2000 metres for me on doctor’s orders. Rochers de Naye seemed to be just possible. But it was a hot day and my legs were aching before I set off. Then I found that the garden did actually go well above 2000 metres, so I had something to eat and returned to Thun. A very pleasant journey on the train in both directions.

Monday 18th September Heavy rain. I stayed in and washed some clothes. Brighter in the afternoon so a train trip to Interlaken to see if Harder Kulm was possible but it was too cloudy. Returned on the bus.

Tuesday 19th September I went to Luzern to see the two major churches, Hofkirche and the Jesuitenkirche. It was very warm and I was still struggling with walking so only managed to get to Hofkirche and Altstadt. Returned to Thun via Brunig, Meiringen, Brienz and Interlaken.

Wednesday 20th September I went to Brienz on the train and caught the Postbus to Axalp where there is a lovely Sculpture trail. I think Maggie posted some photographs some years ago. There was a bad storm one year and many trees were broken; some woodcarvers and students from the college in Brienz went up and carved figures of people and animals out of the stumps of the trees. It’s a beautiful setting and the sculptures are both beautiful and in some cases humorous. The trail takes about 90 minutes but I only managed 30 minutes as the path is rough and undulating.

Thursday 21st September I visited the Freilichtmuseum (Open Air Museum) at Ballenberg near Brienz. The houses are amazing, the settings are beautiful and even though there were many people there it did not feel crowded. When I got back I discovered my left leg and ankle were swollen, though much less so by the morning.

Friday 22nd September Weather dull and cool. I went to Interlaken on the train and to see Gabriella and Felix to buy some presents. She had been carving marmots (Murmeltiere) and I asked to see them. She showed me two and asked if I could tell the difference; she called one Spring and the other Autumn. Autumn was much fatter than Spring because they hibernate for 9 months and when they appear in the spring they feed non-stop in order to survive the winter months so in autumn they go underground very fat! From there I went to Grindelwald to find the restaurant where we used to sit to eat some Moevenpick ice cream which was Maggie’s favourite. While in Grindelwald I decided to have my main meal and found a restaurant serving fish and chips (very British!) Then off to find the ice cream. It was a good day despite the gloomy weather.

Saturday 23rd September Weather was fine and I had discovered that the station at Schynige Platte was only 1970MuM – so off to Wilderswil. The train at Schynige Platte Bahn was very full – mostly two groups of American tourists with a rather loud guide! The journey started in bright sunshine and there was loud conversation. After 20 minutes we started moving into cloud and it became quite cool; people began putting on warmer coats (I had kept my coat on because I knew the cloud was low). At the station I went to the small shop at the entrance to the Alpine Garden; they had some nice things. I went in to their exhibition which explained about the effects of climate change on their plants some of which were struggling to stay alive because of the increase in temperature. I then went up the steps to the garden but did not go far because it started to snow. After some food I caught the train back down and into the sun in Interlaken. (Legs still painful but not swollen.)

Sunday 24th September Last full day. Bus to Interlaken Ost then boat to Brienz. I had planned to have lunch on the boat but there were no places. It was a lovely sunny trip. Walked around Brienz for a while, had a good meal and then caught the train back to Thun.

Monday 25th September The owner of the apartment had called round a few times, (she had met Maggie and I think was anxious about how I was dealing with being on my own). She came round early, took me to a lovely Garden Centre run by people with health difficulties; we sat and drank a cup of tea looking out over beautiful countryside with mountains in the background. Then she packed my bags in her car and took me to the station to catch the train to the airport. More queues at the airport where my passport was checked three times. Flight was uneventful.

There were times when I wished I had not gone but then there were times of happy memories – Maggie wandering around taking macro pictures of wild flowers, Maggie sitting with her favourite ice cream, Maggie fascinated by an exhibition at Ballenberg where a lady was weaving a silk scarf on a loom (I bought one for her), Maggie taking pictures of the tree sculptures at Axalp. I am planning to go back in December to visit the Christmas Markets she loved.

• Yolanda
    2469 posts
    12 October 2023 at 5:50:43 #958812

Hi MikeHW,

Thank you for sharing your recent travels to Switzerland.

The sculpture trail in Axalp sounds fascinating with all the carved figures. What a lovely community spirit.

So sorry for your loss. It’s good to hear that you had nice time and managed to visit some past places. That must have been a comfort for you.

Yes, the Christmas markets are quite special. Here’s our handy guide to the Christmas markets for the coming season: https://www.myswissalps.com/activities/christmasmarkets

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Olga
    Participant
    346 posts
    12 October 2023 at 14:48:28 #958813

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your trip report; it brought tears to my eyes – Maggie and I had some personal contact through e-mail and I still miss her. I think you are very brave doing this trip on your own. I can imagine you miss her everywhere, but this must have been special because she loved Switzerland so much. I hope we can stay in touch, but I’m sure we will.

Apart from all that it was great to read your report, my husband and I know all the places you mentioned. Good memories!

Wishing you all the best,

Olga

Annika
    7140 posts
    12 October 2023 at 15:30:34 #958814

Dear Mike,

Thank you so much for sharing your story. How strange it must have been without Maggie, and how very different from the trips you used to enjoy together. I can’t imagine what it must have been like to return to Switzerland without her. It sounds as if it has been a mix of sad and somewhat happy moments, in which you could cherish your wonderful memories of her. It’s great that you have some friends in and near Thun who could keep you company every now and then.

I’m sure some of the forum members around now still fondly remember Maggie and her reports of your Switzerland adventures :-).

You sure managed to see and do a lot, even though your leg problem limited you at times. And I totally agree with Olga: what a brave endeavour this was! We’re here for you if you’re planning your December trip.

A warm hug,

Annika

Arno
    15489 posts
    12 October 2023 at 15:42:34 #958815

Good to read how your trip went Mike. A lot of mixed feelings I’m sure. I’m happy you’re going again for Christmas!

Arno

traveljet
    Participant
    390 posts
    18 October 2023 at 4:26:38 #958816

Hello MikeHW,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and recent trip to Switzerland with all of us here. Yes, I remember dear Maggie’s posts and write-ups. Switzerland is a special place where memories of good times with her draw you back. In the past, Sept was a less crowded season to visit but of late, more and more are visiting during that time.

It’s natural to try and relive the memories but sometimes, it is not the same because changes are constantly taking place around us. However, love leaves a memory no one can steal and even if the external around us changes, the memories of your love will be a treasure to keep forever in your heart.

”When someone you love becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure”.

Take care of yourself and thanks again for sharing your thoughts with us.

• The thread ‘Mike”s two weeks in Switzerland on his own’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11330 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.