Relaxed itinerary and rail pass for 4 nights Interlaken in early May

• Ankit
    Participant
    5 posts
    3 May 2024 at 23:55:52 #1494384

Hello Experts,

I am going to Swiss 2nd time and this time I will only stay in Interlaken for 4 nights and 3.5 days. I will reach on 8th May around 3:00 PM and will leave to Zurich on evening of 11th May.
    This time I want to explore Interlaken and small villages like murren, grindelwald etc. I will have my wife and 2 years old daughter hence please help me to design a relaxed itinerary.

What type of travel pass I should buy? I will travel from Zurich to Interlaken and Interlaken to Zurich mainly plus places like murren, grindelwald etc.

• Yolanda
    2486 posts
    5 May 2024 at 8:41:02 #1496873

Hi Ankit,

That’s nice you will be visiting Switzerland again.

In regard to a rail pass, for sure as you are staying in the Jungfrau region for those few days, I’d suggest either the Jungfrau Travel Pass or Berner Oberland Pass.  You can read about both passes below (there online purchase options within):

The Berner Oberland Pass covers a larger area of travel, incase you decide to travel further afar on your trip. When reaching Interlaken from Zurich, if you have the Berner Oberland Pass, part of the journey would be covered. Depending on your chosen route, you would only need buy a ticket Zurich-Bern or Zurich-Lucerne.

If you opted with just the Jungfrau Travel Pass, you would need a ticket a full price point-to-point Zurich-Interlaken ticket.  If available, a Saver Day Pass could be more favourable in price.  More on point-to-point tickets and Saver Day Passes below:

In terms of an itinerary, apart from visiting the villages you list – what are your interests for yourself and your family?  There are ideas and suggestions in the link below.  I’d take a look here first. Perhaps, as you are traveling with your young daughter, you probably won’t want to do too much on a daily basis:

Do plan and research journeys with the Swiss timetable, that way you can gauge what is doable for you all:

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Stay informed and inspired with the latest forum discussions e-mailed to you every day. Valuable questions and answers to help with your travel planning.

Ankit
    Participant
    5 posts
    5 May 2024 at 23:54:15 #1497283

Thanks Yolanda.

After doing some research based on your inputs I feel like I should book Jungfrau Travel Pass (9 May to 11 May) and will buy point to point tickets from Zurich to Interlaken to Zurich which is costing 262 CHF. However, I am not sure if the local busses in Interlaken will be covered. I am going to stay in Beatenberg (27 min by bus from Interlaken West). Any suggestion?

Answer to “what are your interests for yourself and your family? “, We are really looking for relaxing trip as we will be there to celebrate our 10th Marriage Anniversary 🙂 so if you have some suggestion feel free to share.

Date wise plan-

8th May-

Arrive at Zurich
    Take train to reach interlaken. Explore interlaken and checking in to bnb

9th May-

Interlaken to lauterbrunnen

Lauterbrunnen to Murren

Lauterbrunnen to Wengen

10th May-

Interlaken to Grindelwald

Interlaken to Spiez and other near by villages and boat ride in Thun lake

11th May

Interlaken to Zurich

Explore Zurich

12th May-

Return to Sweden.

Feel free to suggest anything which can make this trip memorable :).

Regards,
    Ankit Dubey

Alpenrose555
    Participant
    398 posts
    6 May 2024 at 4:29:39 #1497290

Hi Ankit,

>>> After doing some research based on your inputs I feel like I should book Jungfrau Travel Pass (9 May to 11 May) and will buy point to point tickets from Zurich to Interlaken to Zurich which is costing 262 CHF. However, I am not sure if the local busses in Interlaken will be covered. I am going to stay in Beatenberg (27 min by bus from Interlaken West). Any suggestion?

The Jungfrau Travel Pass does not cover buses in Interlaken. However, your accommodation provider should provide you with the Habkern and Beatenberg Guest Card, which will cover local public transport. You will find details of the guest card here:

https://www.interlaken.ch/en/info-service/gaestekarten/habkern-beatenberg-guest-cards

If you click on the link on that page To the benefits, you will find a brochure with a map showing for which transport the guest card is valid, and what other benefits it offers.

Hope this helps!

Alpenrose

Ankit
    Participant
    5 posts
    6 May 2024 at 8:52:32 #1497297

Thanks Alpenrose 555!

Any thoughts about my date wise itinerary? Should I cover more places?

Any suggestion for easy hikes which is doable with 2 year old baby?

Alpenrose555
    Participant
    398 posts
    7 May 2024 at 9:01:07 #1501271

Hi Ankit,

May is not an ideal time for hiking at the higher altitudes due to the likelihood of snowy or muddy trail conditions.

I would suggest you keep to paved trails within the villages of Mürren and Wengen and/or the walk in the Lauterbrunnen Valley:

https://www.myswissalps.com/blog/hike-lauterbrunnen-stechelberg/

If your baby is not in a stroller, you could just walk to the Staubbach Falls and back again.

The Tourist Office in Wengen can give you information about village walks, and the one in Mürren can probably do the same. Otherwise, just wandering at random in either car-free village is very enjoyable.

Hope this helps!

Alpenrose

Danielsan
    Participant
    648 posts
    7 May 2024 at 12:48:26 #1505146

Hi Ankit,

Just something for you to keep in mind, on 10th May, going to Grindelwald from Interlaken (Interlaken Ost, 5 minute train from Int. West) is totally in the opposite direction from going to Speiz. I’m not sure if you are planning any mountain excursions while there. If not, you can easily see Murren, Wengen, and Grindelwald on the same day. (https://www.myswissalps.com/region/jungfrau-region/)  From Lauterbrunnen, directly across the street, is the cable car to Grutschalp. From there, it’s about a 15 min train ride into Murren. From Murren, you can either reverse course back to Lauterbrunnen or take the cable cars down to Stechelberg, via Gimmelwald, and the bus back to Lauterbrunnen. From Lauterbrunnen, it’s less than a 15-minute train up into Wengen. From there, you can explore the village and/or continue on to Klene Scheidegg. From there, you can go down to Grindelwald and back to Interlaken from there. Again, this can be done if you’re basically looking to do some leisurely sightseeing without any mountain excursions. You may also have time to see the sunset from atop Harder Kulm (https://www.myswissalps.com/activity/harder-kulm/ ) which is about a 7-minute walk from the Int Ost station. Then, you can explore Lake Thun ( https://www.myswissalps.com/boatlakethun) (or Brienz  https://www.myswissalps.com/activity/boat-lake-brienz/ ) ( and head to Spiez the next day.

Just some suggestions that may help maximize your time while there. Have a great time. (Happy Anniversary.)

Regards,

Danielsan

Ankit
    Participant
    5 posts
    7 May 2024 at 16:10:10 #1507445

Super thanks Danielsan :). mountain excursions is not on the list this time as we did 4 years back.

Yes, I will to have a calm trip this time as I have kid so your suggestions will be helpful for sure.

I am thinking to buy jungfraujoch travel pass, what do you suggest? My base is going to be in Beatenberg. I am ONLY going to focus on attached map plus lakes.

Danielsan
    Participant
    648 posts
    8 May 2024 at 10:44:09 #1510291

Hi Ankit,

As per the Habkern and Beatenberg guest cards mentioned by Alpenrose, I think you should be covered in the Jungfrau region, including from Beatenberg into Interlaken. I have not compared prices between the OB Pass (https://www.myswissalps.com/travel-ticket/berner-oberland-pass/) and the Jungfrau Pass (https://www.myswissalps.com/travel-ticket/jungfrau-travel-pass/) , but I know they are similar in their coverage. Look through them and decide which one favors your itinerary. You may also want to browse through the Half Fare Card (https://www.myswissalps.com/travel-ticket/swiss-half-fare-card/)  as well, from Zurich to Interlaken and back. Again, see what more favors your plans and budget. Again, have a great trip.

Regards,

Danielsan

Yolanda
    2486 posts
    8 May 2024 at 21:31:26 #1520660

Hi Ankit,

In addition to the helpful replies from Alpenrose and Danielsan, hope your trip is going well and you have arrived safely.

If the guest cards cover your travel to Interlaken, thereon the Jungfrau Travel Pass would kick in.  I think this should suffice.  If you think you will travel further afar, only then I’d consider the Berner Oberland Pass.

Perhaps take a look at the respective coverage maps in the links provided, for a quick comparison.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11390 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.