Switzerland trip for 6 weeks in Aug-Sept 2020

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 October 2019 at 19:22:10 #924005

Hello GandP,

I am glad you are coming along with your planning.

I like Vevey as an alternative to Montreux. Vevey is beautiful and an elegant town, with the extensive lakefront and Mont Pélerin behind it (Mont Pélerin is a mountain of the Swiss Plateau, overlooking Lake Geneva). Vevey is not particularly a “touristic” town although plenty of tourists visit it.

There is a lovely little village half way up called Chardonne. A funciular will get you up there from
    Vevey. You can also take the train up to Chexbres and walk down through the Lavaux vineyards to the lake. The views from the vineyards are incredible in combination of the rows of the vines with the mountains and the lake as backdrop.

There are some nice little villages to explore in the Lavaux as well: Epesses, St Saphorin, and Rivaz. Some of the best filets de perche around the entire Léman are at, Relais de La Poste, in Bourg-en-Lavaux.

Another reason why I like Vevey is the thermal baths. There is one at Lavey-les-bains. These are natural geothermal baths – the hottest natural spring in Switzerland. The pools outside have jets, and most importantly, mountain views. If you and your husband decide to go, take note that the bus stop for the baths is called Lavey-les-Bains- Et. Thermal. You will have to make one simple change from the train to the bus at St. Maurice.

I wish you happy reading while you are inside away from the Westcoast rain!

Best regards,

Suzanne

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 October 2019 at 19:44:50 #924006

Hi Susan –

<<<“Do you have a suggestion for a place other than Montreux that still gives good access to transport in that region?”>>

Suzanne has noted some nice places.

You might also consider one of the smaller less famous towns or villages around the region, with location based on your particular plans. Do you have any idea what you want to do while in the region?

One of the two main train lines from southwest to the north and east runs from Geneva to Lausanne to Fribourg and on to Bern. Frequent service. The trains to the Rhone Valley branch off at Lausanne…thus, also frequent service on the line from Lausanne to Vevey and Montreux and on to Martigny.

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    22 October 2019 at 21:02:24 #924007

Hi Susan,

You wrote “We have visited Murren for a fews days three times in the past 15 years and really enjoy it. . . . . . . . Our only trip to Switzerland was 50 years ago for 2 nights in Lucerne!’

I’m confused. 😉

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 October 2019 at 21:16:36 #924008

Hi Rockoyster –

You wrote :

<<” Hi Susan,

You wrote “We have visited Murren for a fews days three times in the past 15 years and really enjoy it. . . . . . . . Our only trip to Switzerland was 50 years ago for 2 nights in Lucerne!’

I’m confused. 😉 “>>

So am I, but we should never admit it in public.

It would be nice to know what Susan means, but, since Murren is not in Switzerland that might explain it. I don’t care if Google has decided that theer is such a place in Switzerland. There is not.

The village near the Jungfrau, as you know, is named “Mürren.”

For what it is worth, there is a Murrengasse in Ehingen an der Donau, in Germany…..And, near to home for me, at Trinity College in Hartford, CT, there is a “Murren Family Field.” It appears to be a rugby field, but there a baseball diamond next to it, perhaps to counter the foreign influences.

All my advice on the towns involved Mürren as appropriate, and this Website only deals with Switzerland, so I’m home free. ;-0

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 October 2019 at 23:25:09 #924009

Aigle is the most obvious alternative. Not on the lake but a nice town with some traditional hotels, a castle , a nice town centre. Also Bex (both Aigle and Bex are the jumping off points for the TPC narrow gauge mountain railway network). Otherwise perhaps Morges or Lausanne, or further north Yverdon les Bains a spa town at the end of Lac de Neuchatel. All are served by frequent express trains. Yverdon is the junction for the narrow gauge railway to Ste Croix, an often-ignored (by long haul tourists) resort in the Swiss Jura

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 October 2019 at 23:48:42 #924010

<“Aigle is the most obvious alternative.”>>

One wonders about Romont, Bulle, or even Fribourg.

Accesible from Neuchatel – Môtiers has the Absinthe Museum. Not too bad. And, at least one good restaurant:

http://www.sixcommunes.ch/

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    23 October 2019 at 5:05:52 #924011

The village near the Jungfrau, as you know, is named “Mürren.”

I knew I’d regret admitting to being confused, Slowpoke.

But just because I like you so much I have attached a pre-trip-report shot of the alps from the Chateau at Neuchâtel (as promised).

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 October 2019 at 7:18:06 #924012

Hi Rockoyster –

<<“But just because I like you so much I have attached a pre-trip-report

shot of the alps from the Chateau at Neuchâtel (as promised).”>>

Thank you. It is nice to have friends like you. 😉

It is a distinct privilege to see that image. It is an excellent composition in its own right, and it is one of the best, if not the best, pictures I have seen of the Alps from the West.

You should indeed be pleased with that result, as we discussed previously.

You can get similar view, without the lake, from Romont, which is slightly closer on a slightly different sight line. That is one reason why I wondered about using it as a base for the area.

The attached two images show the view from just above Ligerz ( a bit to the north on the Bielersee) and from much higher above the lake near Bevaix, not far from Le Soliat. Neither is as impressive as yours.

That Sony looks like a great travel camera. Nice to have that long lens capability without the weight and bulk.

Slowpoke

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    23 October 2019 at 9:56:58 #924013

You are too kind. The Sony HX-99 (replacing the ageing HX-50V I had on the last trip) is indeed a great travel camera. You have now seen one of the 2,483 pictures I took (about 50:50 taken with Sony v mobile phone). Many will hit the cutting room floor.

I have seen your wonderful attached images before but never tire of them.

Mark
    Participant
    805 posts
    23 October 2019 at 11:00:05 #924014

Hi Rockoyster and Slowpoke

I hope my intrusion on this love fest is not too unwelcome but the photos are indeed very good. I too am a fan of Sony cameras. For the past several years I have traded in my full size Nikon with zoom lens for a Sony RX10 (the original version). While not compact it is about half the size of the Nikon. Also durable. While hiking in the Dolomites this past June I fell directly on the camera with my full weight(considerable). While I actually spent 2 days in a Bolzano hospital my camera still works fine, not even a scratch.

Mark

GandP
    Participant
    17 posts
    23 October 2019 at 16:33:01 #924015

As well you should be – It should have read “Our only other trip to Switzerland….” Thanks for letting me clarify!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 October 2019 at 23:27:32 #924016

Hi Susan

<<“As well you should be – It should have read “Our only other trip to Switzerland….” Thanks for letting me clarify!”>>

Thanks for letting Rockoyster have fun with it. 😉

And for giving him the opportunity to add two more posts to his exceedingly impressive total. (I believe that he counts the total frequently).

Slowpoke

Viewing 12 posts - 21 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • The thread ‘Switzerland trip for 6 weeks in Aug-Sept 2020’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11140 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.