Purchasing train tickets at Swiss rail stations?

• Topher
    Participant
    20 posts
    11 May 2023 at 18:06:48 #829830

Trying to clarify something and hope this isn’t a dumb question, but is it possible to buy train tickets at any station for another train station and for any departure? For example, if I’m planning on arriving in Switzerland with my half-price already in hand, and I’m in Luzern on Monday, and I check Wednesday’s weather and decide it’s worth travelling up to Jungfraujoch two days later, on Wednesday, could I go to the Luzern train station on Monday morning and purchase my Eiger Express / Jungfraubahn tickets, to travel from Grindelwald Terminal to Eigergletscher and from there to the Jungfraujoch, for Wednesday, as well as get a reservation (since Jungfraujoch is one of the few rides that recommends reservations), from the ticket cashier counter at the Luzern Bahnhof? Or would they tell me they don’t sell tickets from Grindelwald in the Luzern Bahnhof?

Follow up question: What if I’m at a smaller train station, like the Beckenried boat pier station. Is the answer the same? Or would a larger bahnhof like Luzern’s have more access?

Or would I be better off just buying these tickets and making my reservations on my SBB App on my phone, even if I’m technophobic and would rather have a live person assisting me as I buy the tix?

• Yolanda
    2387 posts
    11 May 2023 at 18:42:25 #954360

Hello Topher,

Thanks for your question.

Yes, you can buy your tickets and reservations at a staffed rail station. That said, some tickets can only be purchased online, for example the Saver Day Pass and Supersaver tickets.

In the attached link below, you can read all about the points of sale for train tickets and passes. I understand the online phobia and in some cases, it’s definitely nice to have a live person in front of you 🙂 Though, I must admit online purchasing is very efficient these days.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Topher
    Participant
    20 posts
    11 May 2023 at 19:17:59 #954361

Thank you.

Can I reserve a seat for Jungfraujoch at any staffed train terminal as well? Can I do such a reservation on the SBB App? Or do I have to do that from a specific terminal where the train departs from? I saw something on the SBB Website about panoramic train reservations needing to be reserved at the departure terminal so that’s why I’m confused. Jungfraujoch is the only train I’m planning on trying to get a reservation for.

Yolanda
    2387 posts
    11 May 2023 at 19:49:08 #954362

Thanks for clarifying Topher.

Reservations on the panoramic train rides can be made online. For example, if you wanted a reservation on the Glacier Express, you can find reservations details here: https://www.myswissalps.com/glacierexpress/tickets

For your reservation to Jungfraujoch, details can be found here:

Please scroll to the bottom of the page to “Information on other websites”.

I hope all is clear now, feel free to reach out if you have further questions.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Topher
    Participant
    20 posts
    11 May 2023 at 20:28:56 #954363

Thank you. As I click through to the links to purchase my tickets on that site (which I’m not doing yet, just trying to see how this will work), I see the following options to click:

Swiss Travel Pass / Swiss Travel Pass Flex

Swiss Half Fare Card

Half Fare Travelcard / GA Travelcard

I am buying a tourist / nonresident 1 month Half Fare Card for my trip to Switzerland. Which of options 2-3 do I click on? The Swiss Half Fare Card or the Half Fare Travelcard / GA Travelcard?

Yolanda
    2387 posts
    11 May 2023 at 20:46:39 #954364

Hi Topher,

You would be purchasing the Swiss Half Fare Card.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Arno
    15484 posts
    13 May 2023 at 9:09:58 #954365

Hi Topher!

Those names can be confusing indeed. The difference between the Swiss Half Fare Card and the Half-Fare Travelcard is explained at https://www.myswissalps.com/swisshalffarecard/details, and the difference between the Swiss Travel Pass (Flex) and the SwissPass at http://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/swisspass.

• The thread ‘Purchasing train tickets at Swiss rail stations?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11130 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.