20 May 2024 – public holiday in Switzerland?

• kamil_krk
    Participant
    118 posts
    11 March 2024 at 8:21:43 #1250782

I checked some calendars and I found information, that 20th of May 2024 is a swiss holiday. Because at this day I’ll arrive to Zurich HB 8:20 am and going to Interlaken (via Arth-Goldau, Luzern and Brienz) for night I need to buy local SIM card and some food for my stay. I assume that restaurants will be open, but what about supermarkets or post offices? I should expexct closed door or – on Zurich HB station especcialy – open as usual?

Kamil

• Anna
    6424 posts
    11 March 2024 at 13:59:05 #1254088

Hi Kamil,

Yes, 20th May 2024 is a public holiday here (except in Kanton Neuchatel) to mark Pfingstmontag (Pentecost Monday).

Shops, supermarkets and post offices will be closed except those at major railway stations, gas stations and airports. In general, restaurants will stay open.

Yes, the shops and restaurants at Zurich main station will be open on this day.

Regards,

Anna

kamil_krk
    Participant
    118 posts
    11 March 2024 at 14:04:50 #1254262

Anna, thank you so much – because of this kind of precisely answers I’m falling in love in yours website 😛

Kamil

Teresa
    Participant
    7 posts
    11 March 2024 at 17:33:47 #1255006

Our family of five is arriving in Switzerland on May 20!  I had no idea it was a public holiday.  We will be traveling from the airport in Zurich to Wengen and were hoping to stock up at a supermarket upon arrival in Wengen.  Do you think the supermarket will be open in Wengen?  If not, do you have any suggestions on where we might be able to stop to stock up on groceries?

Anna
    6424 posts
    12 March 2024 at 20:22:34 #1260934

Hi Teresa,

The shops at the airport are open for sure! There is a Coop supermarket near the lift going down to Platforms 3 and 4 8 (close to the SBB rail office).

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘20 May 2024 – public holiday in Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11250 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.