Switzerland + Milan trip – which railpass

• Aaru21
    Participant
    11 posts
    25 April 2023 at 15:49:51 #829691

Hello

I must thank to say that how wonderful & helpful this site has been in planning my first trip to this beautiful country!!

We are a family of 4 (2 children 18 & 11), I have asked questions in the past about my itinerary & I have few more questions on Rail pass so TIA for all your help!! We will be spending majority of our days in Switzerland and 2 days in Milan. Our in and out flights are from Geneva. I want to know which rail pass will be more cost effective. Here is what we are planning for now. Also, should we do it in this order or start from bottom to top? Having confusion on that as well:

Day 1 – Geneva

Day 2 & 3 – Interlaken

Day 4 & 5 – Lucerne

Day 6 & 7 – Milan& Lake Como

Day 8 – Geneva o fly back in late afternoon.

I am planning to buy the swiss travel pass/ Should I reverse this itinerary and go to Milan first? Or this will be more easier? Asking so I can use my swiss travel pass for the rest of the days(5 days)? Which pass or rail tickets should we get to travel from Millan to Switzerland? and also while we are in italy?

Thank you

Aarti A.

• Anna
    6397 posts
    25 April 2023 at 18:47:53 #953776

Hi Aarti A.

Personally I would start the trip in Milan before continuing to Lucerne followed by Interlaken then finally Geneva. I would get a 4-day Swiss Travel Pass and activate it on Day 3. There is currently a Spring promotion on the Swiss Travel Pass that will give you an extra day of free travel if you purchase a 4-day pass during the campaign period. You can find more details here: http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/the-swiss-travel-pass-spring-2023-promotion

From Geneva to Milan, you can travel direct on an EC train. For information about tickets, have a look at some options here: http://www.myswissalps.com/traintickets/italy

Hope this gets you started.

Regards,

Anna

Aaru21
    Participant
    11 posts
    26 April 2023 at 18:10:32 #953777

Thank You Anna,

Can I pre-book this ticket from Geneva- Milan & Milan-Luzern? I dont see tickets for July yet. Does it come up like 30 days in advance?

Also, If I get the Swiss travel pass – how do I use that to travel on EC for the Switzerland part of the journey and pay for the Italy part? I dont see that option on any websites.

Thank You

Yolanda
    2387 posts
    27 April 2023 at 5:05:28 #953778

Hello Aarti A,

For travel in July, it’s a little early to buy rail tickets. The time frame is normally 60 days.

Your Swiss Travel Pass is valid once you reach Switzerland. Depending on your point of entry, you will need to buy a rail ticket to the border. For example, Milan to Lucerne, you would need a ticket for Milan to Chiasso, thereon, your Swiss Travel Pass is valid.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

• The thread ‘Switzerland + Milan trip – which railpass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11130 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.