Taxi Zürich airport to Zermatt: taxi company + reserve in advance?

• buske328
    Participant
    5 posts
    28 April 2024 at 13:40:49 #1466972

Hi,

We want to travel from Zurich Airport to Zermatt by taxi (2 pers)

Wich company can we trust ?

Is it best to reserve in advance ? We’re going in Jan ‘25.

Thank you

Luc

• buske328
    Participant
    5 posts
    29 April 2024 at 12:23:32 #1467005

No answer ?😢

Danielsan
    Participant
    647 posts
    30 April 2024 at 10:04:20 #1472792

Hi Luc,

I’m not sure why you would want to take a taxi to Zermatt. I can only assume it would be terribly expensive. I’ve never priced it out, but I would assume the train would be less expensive. You can purchase a half fare card, and that should get you there. I’m not sure where you’re staying after, but you may want to consider that. Even if you may have ski equipment, the Swiss trains are very equipped to handle that. You’ll have to take the train from the last stop into Zermatt from Tasch, either way. Have a great trip.

Regards,

Danielsan

buske328
    Participant
    5 posts
    30 April 2024 at 10:10:01 #1472929

Hi,

Thanks for your great info.
    We can now discuss this better.

thx

traveljet
    Participant
    390 posts
    1 May 2024 at 4:41:38 #1477121

Hi Buske,

We have never taken a taxi in Zurich as the Swiss rail is very convenient. If one is travelling with heavy baggage, just use their luggage service to send it straight to the next accommodation or the next destination station to pick it up. This should work out cheaper than taking a long distance taxi.

I looked at this link and it says the taxi fare is around CHF1,230 from Zurich airport to Zermatt station. This will be a good gauge for you to compare between the train fares etc. I attached the screenshot.

https://www.gobytaxi.com/europe/switzerland

Yolanda
    2466 posts
    1 May 2024 at 7:28:07 #1477124

Hi Luc,

Following on from the above replies. I agree, taxi is an expensive option.  The Swiss train system is convenient and practical (https://www.myswissalps.com/travel/train/how-it-works/).

The luggage transfer option mentioned is all explained in the attached link below:

Should you still choose to take a taxi from Zurich airport, per Danielsan’s reply, you could only take it as far as Täsch. Zermatt is car-free. From Täsch, you would need to take a short train ride (12 mintues) to Zermatt.  Within Zermatt itself, you would either walk or there are free electric buses. More on Zermatt here: https://www.myswissalps.com/town/zermatt/.

Taxis are readily available at the airport but for a long distance ride, I would book in advance.  You can find some options in the link below, scroll to “Zurich Airport to Zurich by car transfer or rental car”

Kind regards,

Yolanda

buske328
    Participant
    5 posts
    1 May 2024 at 11:21:58 #1481449

Hello all,

Thx for all your info and help.

We’ll come by 🏍️…🤣

👍Grts

Luc Cap

Danielsan
    Participant
    647 posts
    2 May 2024 at 12:19:20 #1490554

HI traveljet,

How are you doing? How is everything in Singapore way? Hope all is well, and you are coming back to Switzerland.Wow!! Are prices really that high from Zurich to Zermatt in a taxi? I can only assume that Luc is making other plans, yes? I hope so.

Luc, as I mentioned earlier, the folks in Switzerland are used to ski equipment and such on trains. If you’re not skiing, obviously, you can disregard this, as it seems the only reason you may be looking. If so, you may not fit your equipment into a taxi anyway (never-mind the costs). The train to Zermatt from Zurich is about three and a half hours, to three forty-five, depending upon which train you board. Many will go through Zurich Hb. All of them will stop at Visp for the final change into Zermatt. I hope this puts your mind somewhat at ease and that you have a great trip. Again, if you’re not skiing, please disregard the above and still have a great trip.

Regards,

Danielsan

Yolanda
    2466 posts
    2 May 2024 at 22:16:32 #1491604

Hi Luc,

Just following on from Danielsan’s reply.  You can research your train ride Zurich-Zermatt using the Swiss timetable:

In case you needed any information on rail tickets and rail passes, you can take a look in the link below:

Kind regards,

Yolanda

traveljet
    Participant
    390 posts
    3 May 2024 at 9:51:47 #1492479

Hi Danielsan,

All is well with us, thank you for asking. Just came back from a trip to Kuala Lumpur and will be going to Bangkok In july and Japan end Nov. Currently we have no plans to visit Switzerland again as the jetlag can be quite punishing for us seniors and having been there at least 5x, we thought we will focus on Asia Pacific for a while esp Japan, given the good exchange rate and flying time is more suitable. Absolutely enjoy the natural hotspring traditional ryokan (jap guesthouse) stays with great cuisine.

I am not the least surprised that the taxi fare from Zurich to Zermatt will be very costly – although that website showed its to Zermatt station which is rather odd, considering no cars are allowed in Zermatt itself.

Hope you are well and I suppose you will be making another trip to Switzerland😁 Keep safe!

Regards

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11300 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.