Berner Oberland hikes in July with trail running shoes?

• Ben Chod
    Participant
    12 posts
    14 April 2024 at 16:18:03 #1405424

Would you recommend hiking in the region wearing trail running shoes?  This would be in summer end of July.

Everyone in my family has pairs of Salomon Speedcross trail running shoes that we use to hike in California.

Can we use the same in and around the trails in the BO, mostly near Mürren?

We aren’t likely to do anything difficult- we have a 10 year old with us, although he is experienced doing 6-10 miles.  But a non-hiker might also join us so we’ll keep it relatively moderate to easy trails.  Also, the Speedcross has larger lugs than typical trail-runners so I feel like it can handle tougher terrain.

I don’t want to have to carry big heavy hiking boots and the Salomon Speedcross doubles as a great fashionable+lightweight walking shoe and fitness shoe, reducing the amount of things we need to pack.

• Mark
    Participant
    805 posts
    15 April 2024 at 13:47:07 #1406979

Yes you should be fine. Most of the trails are well maintained and not technical. The major advantage of hiking boots is ankle support and waterproofing, and rigidity of the soles. But I have gone to hiking in Hoka trail running shoes more and more due to their extra comfort and cushion.

mark

Anna
    6390 posts
    15 April 2024 at 22:11:49 #1409552

Hi Ben Chod,

Salomon hiking shoes are fairly common here. I wear mine too when I go hiking. So you will be fine.

You can practical tips about hiking in the Swiss Alps here: https://www.myswissalps.com/activities/hiking/safety/

Regards,

Anna

Ben Chod
    Participant
    12 posts
    16 April 2024 at 15:28:53 #1415977

Thanks for the info.

Mark, I think I’ll keep the family in trail running shoes and I may switch to hiking shoes for ankle support.  I have an old college ankle injury that re-sprains on hikes.  Or I may try just wearing athletic tape and a brace.  Appreciate the response.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11110 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.