Grindelwald 4 days: how to visit the waterfalls in Lauterbrunnen?

• ashmay
    Participant
    4 posts
    8 May 2024 at 9:43:39 #1508680

Hi. We are going from zurich to grindelwald.  We are staying in grindelwald for 4 days. We would also like to go to lautetbrunnen to see the waterfalls and anything. We are confused how to go about it

Thanks May

• Yolanda
    2496 posts
    9 May 2024 at 9:01:53 #1520730

Hi May,

If you are wanting to visit Trümmelbach Falls, use the Swiss timetable (https://www.myswissalps.com/travel/public-transport/timetable/) so you can plan the journey.

Make your way to Lauterbrunnen, then hop on bus 141 to Trümmelbachfälle, which is opposite the entrance to the falls. If you have the Jungfrau Travel Pass, Berner Oberland Regional Pass or Swiss Travel Pass, your train and bus tickets are included.

For a visit to Staubbach Falls, you can easily walk from Lauterbrunnen.  All explained in the link below:

Kind regards,

Yolanda

Stay informed and inspired with the latest forum discussions e-mailed to you every day. Valuable questions and answers to help with your travel planning.

Annika
    7142 posts
    9 May 2024 at 14:50:31 #1522472

Hi there May!

In addition to Yolanda’s tips: you can also consider traveling to Lauterbrunnen via the mountains. You could do so via the Männlichen (https://www.myswissalps.com/activity/mannlichen/) or via Kleine Scheidegg which is en route to Jungfraujoch (https://www.myswissalps.com/activity/jungfraujoch/). On the pages I’ve linked to, you’ll find sections explaining the routes in detail.

Miggles
    Participant
    66 posts
    10 May 2024 at 22:58:23 #1525257

May,

It is our first time in Switzerland. We are also staying in Grindelwald for 4 nights.  We plan to take the Wengenalp cog train to Lauterbrunnen through Kleine Scheidegg. I was told I could buy that ticket any of the train stations in Grindelwald once we get there. It departs from the Grindelwald Grund station
    I am wondering how long we have at Kline Scheidegg? I would love to look at the views from up there for a little while before heading down to Lauterbrunnen.

Miggles

I was won

Alpenrose555
    Participant
    399 posts
    11 May 2024 at 7:58:32 #1525264

Hi Miggles

>>> We are also staying in Grindelwald for 4 nights. We plan to take the Wengenalp cog train to Lauterbrunnen through Kleine Scheidegg. I was told I could buy that ticket any of the train stations in Grindelwald once we get there.

Yes, simple to get your ticket on the day from a ticket machine or the ticket counter.

>>> It departs from the Grindelwald Grund station

Usually, it departs from Grindelwald main station, and passes through Grindelwald Grund on the way – it is the first stop. In addition to the annual maintenance closure from 6-17 May 2024, there are construction works underway at the moment, until 14 June 2024, so there are some changes to the normal service between now and then.

For anyone travelling after 14 June 2024, the best place to board is at Grindelwald main station. All the window seats are likely to be taken by the time the train gets to Grindelwald Grund!

>>> I am wondering how long we have at Kline Scheidegg? I would love to look at the views from up there for a little while before heading down to Lauterbrunnen.

You can break your journey at Kleine Scheidegg for as long as you like. When you’re ready to continue your journey to Lauterbrunnen via Wengen, if you are able to board the train as soon as it arrives at Kleine Scheidegg, you will have a better chance of getting a window seat on the left, which is where to sit for the best views. The trains for Wengen arrive/depart on the tracks on the other side of the station buildings from where the Grindelwald trains arrive/depart.

If you have enough time, I recommend getting off at Wengen and walking to the lookout near the Swiss Protestant church for a wonderful view of the Lauterbrunnen Valley!

Here are directions to the lookout:

From the station, head left up the main street lined with shops and hotels (Dorfstrasse), past the Hotel Silberhorn on the right, Männlichen cable car on the right, Hotel Bernerhof on the left, and uphill a bit past the Hotel Schönegg on the right. At the top of the hill, you will see a path on the left leading to the Swiss Protestant Church, where there is a lookout and seats.

Hope this is useful!

Alpenrose

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11410 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.