Pt 3: Trip Report Zermatt Nov 2023 & Zurich Christmas markets

• traveljet
    Participant
    388 posts
    3 January 2024 at 11:51:20 #1042649

Part 1 Trip report with photos
    https://www.myswissalps.com/community/thread/trip-report-zermatt-nov-2023-zurich-christmas-market/

Part 2 Trip report – Day trip to Morges/Montreux/Zermatt Hotel & Restaurants
    https://www.myswissalps.com/community/thread/pt-2-trip-report-zermatt-nov-2023-zurich-christmas-mark/

PART 3:
    LUGGAGE SERVICE TO ZURICH
    We were wondering whether to try out the luggage service for our journey from Zermatt to Zurich. But having observed the crowds on the platform Visp during our day trips, we decided it was best to use the service and are glad we did. It’s really such a breeze taking the trains without the luggages.

The only thing is having to pack 2 days worth of clothing/toiletries as you will be without your bags for 2 nights. That is likely not an issue for most couples or singles and the convenience of travelling on the trains without the luggages is really great!

So on Thursday, 2 days before our checkout from Zermatt, we brought the luggages to the train station. Thanks to @Danielsan, we knew where to find the luggage sbb office (opp Casa Mia restaurant). We opted to collect it on Sat when we arrive at Zurich HB.

Before we left for Switzerland, I printed out the luggage labels from the sbb website and filled in the necessary details so it was very easy for the station staff to do the necessary. Paid CHF 24 for the 2 bags and it was definitely within the weight limit of 25kg per item.

Although it was stated that we are supposed to have a valid train ticket for that transport route or Half card etc, the staff did not ask for one. They gave us the documents and collection receipt with the number to show the station staff upon collection at Zurich HB.

When we arrived at Zurich Main Station, we had difficulty locating the luggage office. After going round in circles, we managed to ask a staff that was located near the luggage lockers who told us to go down to the Main Concourse Lost and Found office. So we had to look for the sign with the Umbrella, a ? Tag & gloves icon on it. Saw the sign above the aisle facing across Platform 17 of the main concourse. The office is on the right as you walk through the aisle. Collecting it was easy as all we had to do was pass them the receipt with the number.

We did not realise that one of the smaller handles on our 2nd bag was broken till a day later. This was definitely during the transportation from Zermatt. Thankfully the handle for pulling the luggage on the wheels was not broken.  I took a snapshot of the broken handle and decided I would make a report to Sbb when I got back to Singapore.

Thankfully I made the online report just in time when I got back as they required it to be done within 7 days of collection of the bag. It was the 6th day when I realised that. They replied quite promptly by email and apologised for the damage, asking me to submit a fuller report with the necessary documents and pictures and costs to be paid. The form also asked for my bank account number for the compensation to be paid.

The broken handle did cause us quite a bit of inconvenience when we had to lug that bag up the train steps on the way to the airport.

However, I was very impressed by how SBB handled my claim submission. The claim was promptly paid to my bank account within a week of my submission. That’s a thumbs up for their service and I would still encourage those with luggages and train transfers to use this service. Just make sure you take photos of your luggages.

CHRISTMAS MARKETS IN EINSIEDELN, WINTERTHUR & ZURICH
    Not wanting to waste the Saver Day Pass after we arrived in Zurich to check into our hotel, we decided to make a trip to Einsiedeln to view the market and walk to the abbey. Unfortunately it was snowing very heavily and it was difficult to walk as the snow kept getting on our faces and it was very cold. The queues for the food stalls were long and frankly, it would have been so uncomfortable standing out in the freezing cold trying eat a bratwurst with gloves on.

But we were so hungry since our last meal was at breakfast before we departed from Zermatt. So we walked around and there were very few cafes which were already packed. Spotting one hotel at a distance, we decided to give it a try and what a relief to find that they had one table left! We had the best chicken in the basket, schnitzel and beer! After dinner, the snowfall was still too heavy to walk to the abbey so we headed back to Zurich. In fact, the next day we read that trains and flights going to Germany were cancelled due to heavy snowfall and the stations at Basel would be very crowded. Hence, we never made it to Basel during our trip at all.

We visited the market at Winterthur in the day and the main ones in Zurich at night. It was not as exciting or interesting as we had hoped – maybe I expected the decorations to be more interesting and since we already decided to have dinner before visiting the markets, the food sold at the stalls did not entice us as much. Having said that, the experience of walking at the markets with real snow was unique for us inspite of the cold.

We prefer the outdoors and nature so after being in Zermatt, quite a bit of what we saw in Zurich paled in comparison. But again, that’s just our personal opinion and experience.

• Yolanda
    2373 posts
    4 January 2024 at 7:13:14 #1043418

Hi traveljet,

Thank you (again).  Sorry to hear about your luggage handle breakage but happy to hear you received such excellent customer service from SBB.

Lovely photos too by the way.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

• The thread ‘Pt 3: Trip Report Zermatt Nov 2023 & Zurich Christmas markets’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11080 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.