Pt 1: Trip report Zermatt Nov 2023 & Zurich Christmas Market

• Yolanda
    2373 posts
    11 January 2024 at 14:30:12 #1060610

Hi DebH,

Yes, September is still a few months away but no doubt, it will come around quick.  Your trip will be amazing.  As well as Traveljet’s trip report, if you have time, there are lots more to read in the Trip report section of our website:  https://www.myswissalps.com/community/

That’s great you’ve chosen the Berner Oberland Pass and the Swiss Half Fare Card. There are some purchase options via the below link, if you wanted to cross something off your ‘to-do’ list.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

DebH
    Participant
    77 posts
    12 January 2024 at 9:27:05 #1060627

Thanks Yolanda.  I will purchase the passes in advance, but it can wait a little while.

I have a tab open with the trip reports you mentioned in it and now I can read them when I get spare time.

TravelJet’s reports have been so helpful and I am sure other will too.

Danielsan
    Participant
    634 posts
    17 January 2024 at 12:51:55 #1075010

Hi DebH,

I was there in Zermatt this past September for two nights as well. (Also for two nights 5 years ago.) September is a great time to go. (https://www.myswissalps.com/planning/practical/best-time-to-visit/)  As far as the hotel goes, it’s at the other end of town from arriving at the train station. You can walk it in about 20 minutes or so, or as traveljet did, take a hotel shuttle. They are usually parked just outside the plaza adjacent to the train station. The whole town is only about 1 km long, very scenic, very compact, and yet it still holds its charm. Directly across from the train station is the Gornergratbahn, (one can’t miss it). Your hotel is less than a 5 min walk to the Glacier Paradise cable car. You can see it from the hotel. As in so much of the country, it is a great walking village. When I went 5 years ago, I was able to visit both the Glacier Paradise and the Gornergrat on the same day. This year, I was fortunate enough to visit Sunnegga before the clouds rolled in.

As far as food goes, there are virtually tons of places. Tons. You may want to make reservations as it’s a busy village, even though it is just past the “busy” season. Still considered “summer”, but it’s past the July/August “busy”. Basically, the only restaurants/bars and such that will he closed are the apres ski places that are for the ski season. But most places will be open. I had a very good fondue in a place called Zermatterstubli, about a short block away from Grampi’s and the Brown Cow (heading towards the train station). Across from Grampi’s is a small place called Hexen Bar with a bartender named Hans, who has worked in Zermatt for 30+ years, is very friendly and makes it a fun place to have a cocktail or two. He’ll be able to answer any question one may have. That whole street (Bahnhofstrasse) between the train station and the church one can find pretty much everything from food/drinks to souvenirs to hotels. I, too, just recently finished a trip report if you want to read it in the next nine months. Have a great trip, and congrats on your 40th.

Regards,

Danielsan

Viewing 3 posts - 21 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • The thread ‘Pt 1: Trip report Zermatt Nov 2023 & Zurich Christmas Market’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11090 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.