2 weeks across Switzerland by train in Sept-part 2

• Danielsan
    Participant
    647 posts
    6 October 2023 at 2:46:04 #830870

Trip report, September 2023 (Part 2)

Hello forum folks,

>>>Day 2: Montreux, Glacier 3000.

Having my everything backpack ready to go, I was on an early train to Aigle (about a ten min train ride) after picking up a danish and coffee outside the train station to catch the 0919 train to the end of the line at Les Diablerets. There, I caught the 1022 bus (Rt. 180) to the Col du Pillon stop (about 9 stops) where the Glacier 3000 cable car takes one up to the Peak-walk and Glacier 3000. The sun was in and out of the clouds most of the time. I was able to get some nice pics in. However, while on the Peak walk itself, it started to get a bit foggy, and a little cold drizzle started to flare up. Fortunately, I was about to make my way back down to the restaurant area at that time. It also became a bit chilly. I did get some neat pics and will try to post some. Looking at the glacier on one side and the beautiful mountains and valleys on the other, it was pretty amazing. Even without the sun shining. Also, looking down at the little hut that housed the cable car to get up there was very cool to see. Just a little hut perched on a bluff 8000 feet or so in the air. Amazing. I did see some people riding on the toboggan up there, but I did not ride, as it was a bit too cold with the slight rainfall. There is some major construction taking place up there as well, but nothing to detract from the views. The glacier on one side was fairly covered with overcast, and the other side was fairly sunny, allowing for better photos. There is, as is true on most mountain tops, a restaurant and souvenir shop. I had my usual “summit beer” and enjoyed the views and cool weather.

>>>Tip: Try not to move to fast up there. It was a little bit slippery due to the weather, but there are probably close to a hundred steps to reach the Peak walk. Not all at once, but in a few different sections, made up of both concrete steps and sections of cat-walks as well. Some folks, as I had overheard, were a bit reluctant to actually cross the bridge due to weather concerns. Or maybe health concerns. Maybe both. It was a bit weird, but fun. It was moving the whole time (the bridge), and one could feel the movement under ones feet. Not swaying crazy, but I could definitely feel it moving while taking steps. Pretty cool, actually.

The cost was US$47.00 with the Swiss Travel Pass. (Chf 43).

I wanted to see this 5 years ago, but the last cable car went right over my head when I got off the bus. One can also reach the valley station by taking a train to Gstaad and getting on the other end of the Rt 180 bus to Col du Pillon. The Aigle route takes from about an hour-30 to an hour-45. Through Gstaad, figure between 2.5 and 3, depending on the train/bus connection.

The train ride to Les Diablerets (Col dul Pillon) was very pretty. Passing many a vineyard, many deep ravines, and many beautiful mountains. A very pretty area, the Les Diablarets mountains. The village of Les Diablarets (at the end of the train line from Aigle) is very pretty, and it looks like a skiing mecca in the winter, for those out there who do ski.

<<<Tip: For anyone planning this excursion, after the train and when boarding the bus, there are 8 stops that have “Les Diablerets” followed by another name. The first stop without “Les D” in the name is where you get off. (You can’t miss the cable car..its the Col du Pillon stop.) The trains in Aigle to Les D, are off the main line and depart from a little station adjacent to the main station.

After arriving back in Montreux, I thought about going to Gruyeres, but it was too late in the day. So I killed some time having a pizza along the main street. (Being from New York, I have found it funny that in Switzerland, they don’t slice their pizza’s…lol.)Then just walking around the prominade, buying some souvenirs and such. After a while, I dropped my “everywhere backpack” at my hotel and headed to the Barrel Oak pub to enjoy my 60th birthday. On my last trip, I celebrated my 55 at the same pub (see pic). That was pretty then and this time around as well. Then we called it a night.

More to come in part three.

Regards,

Danielsan

• The thread ‘2 weeks across Switzerland by train in Sept-part 2’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11330 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.