Wengen-KleineScheidegg-Jungfrau-Grindelwald circle

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 May 2018 at 16:08:49 #816279

Please help me to decide which is best route. My base is Wengen trying to find out what is best route to make circle to cover all. I have swiss Travel Pass so please advise which one better.

Here is my plan based on reading different thread:

Option 1 – Wengen-Mannlichen (Cable)- trail to Kleine Scheidegg – Jungfrau – Kleine Scheidegg – Grindelwald (train or cable car better?) – Interlaken (train) – back to Wengen (by train after spend time at Interlaken)

or

Option 2 – Wengen to Kleine Scheidegg (train)- Jungfrau – Kleine Scheidegg to Mannlichen (trail)-Grindelwald (cable car) -Interlaken (train) – back to Wengen (by train after spend time at Interlaken)

Thanks.

• Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    28 May 2018 at 20:53:04 #886597

Do them all!

But be prepared to pay extra fares with a Swiss Travel Pass.

The Bernese Oberland Pass may be better value particularly if you’re spending most of your time in the area.

In 2015, I went to Jungfrau on a beautiful June day. Interlaken to Lauterbrunnen and then via Wengen.

Returned to Wengen via the Mannlichen cable car.

And back to Interlaken again via Kleine Scheidegg and Grindelwald.

A magnificent day.

If staying at Wengen, perhaps you should consider going to Murren as well? And including Schilthorn if your budget permits.

Take the bus one way from Lauterbrunnen to connect with the cableway to Murren. Return on the tramway from Murren; an incredible ride.

By all means include the trip to Interlaken but be prepared for the large numbers of “international” tourists who can be very noisy and do like to push and shove at times.

Enjoy your travels and let’s hear of your experiences.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 May 2018 at 21:23:38 #886598

Thank you for your reply. This is my second day trip.

My third day trip will be Schilthorn

Going up:

Wengen à Lauterbrunnen (by Train R334, platform 2) — 9:03 – 9:20 (seat on right)

Lauterbrunnen à Grütschalp (Cableway 8, cable car) — 9:23 – 9:27

Grutschalpà Mürren (Train R 3747, cogwheel train) Murren — 9:29 – 9:43 (15 min walk to cable car station)Murren à Birg à Schilthorn (take two cable car) – 10:10 – 10:27

Way back:

Schilthorn à Birg à Murren à Gimmelwald (3 cable car way down in 30 min)

——– Option – Walk from Murren à Gimmelwald (30 min walk), eat lunch at Alpenruh Terrace Restaurant in Murren

Gimmelwald à Stechelberg (by cable car, stay in front or left side)

Stechelberg à Lauterbrunnen (by bus which stop at the Trummelbach Falls)

Wengen (by train)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 May 2018 at 21:40:14 #886599

I forgot to mention that I got 15 Days Swiss Travel pass for 12 days so I think it is best/economical option. Travelling every day in train/cable car.

Thanks.

pvonk
    Participant
    386 posts
    28 May 2018 at 21:41:01 #886600

Which month (and day, if this is in June) will you be traveling?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 May 2018 at 21:53:25 #886601

Jun 21 – July 1 in Switzerland

Jun 21 – Jun 23 – Lucern (Titlis/Pilatus/town)

Jun 24- 26 – Golden Express to inetrelacken to Wenzen (Jungfrau/Schilthorn)

Jun 27 -28 – Bern/Geneva(CERN/UN)

Jun 29 – Zermatt (Matterhorn)

Jun 30-Jul 1 – Glacier Express/Zurich

Jul 2 – Fly back home

pvonk
    Participant
    386 posts
    28 May 2018 at 22:34:32 #886602

Have you checked whether the various modes of transportation (other than trains) are available yet? There have been a number of posts/threads lately about some modes (eg cable cars) not being open yet in June. Check for some of these posts. Hopefully some others here might join this conversation as I was not paying close attention to the details.

if you’ve already done your homework, then ignore my suggestion.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 May 2018 at 5:38:03 #886603

Hi Rakubha,

You will be fine for cable cars etc being open by then. I also wouldn’t be too focused on Interlaken for a visit – perhaps Thun though? It is a very nice town and lake: https://www.myswissalp s.com/thun & https://www.myswissalp s.com/boatlakethun

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 May 2018 at 21:52:49 #886604

Thank you Lucas. After Wengen, My next base is Bern so rather stop bye the day travel to Bern from Wengen to save time forth and back. There is locker for luggage at Thun?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2018 at 2:25:48 #886605

>> There is locker for luggage at Thun?

Yes. Make sure to have some CHF 5, CHF 2, and CHF 1 coins on hand.

Alpenrose

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    31 May 2018 at 4:36:27 #886606

You’ll also need coins for the lavatory at Thun!

andrew
    Participant
    147 posts
    2 June 2018 at 7:37:03 #886607

The Wengen – Mannlichen cable car has been undergoing a big update including new double-deck cabins. It was planned to be running again by June 2018 (as it’s Switzerland it probably is) but it’s worth checking. Anyone know?

Andrew

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 June 2018 at 8:25:03 #886608

Looks good to go! Hopefully a member will try it out this summer and let us know what they think!

https://www.maennliche n.ch/en/

andrew
    Participant
    147 posts
    3 June 2018 at 13:59:39 #886609

More on the Wengen-Männlichen cable car which is now back in operation following its upgrade.

There are interesting reports on the links below.

One thought: I would have preferred the cabin roof balcony area to be at the other end of the cabin roof giving views over the valley rather than the mountainside.

Andrew

http://www.jungfrauzeitung.ch /artikel/164996/

http://www.bernerzeitung.ch/r egion/oberland/gondeln -mit-koeniglichem-balkon/story/29680856

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 June 2018 at 1:03:02 #886610

>> There are interesting reports on the links below.

Thanks for those interesting links Andrew!

I also followed another link on one of those pages to some info and pictures on how they got the new cable cars to Wengen – by road transport to Lauterbrunnen, from where they were airlifted by heavy duty helicopter to Wengen. That would have been a sight to see!

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Wengen-KleineScheidegg-Jungfrau-Grindelwald circle’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11160 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.