Which rail pass to buy for 6-7 days in Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 May 2017 at 6:53:03 #812007

We will be in Switzerland on September 10th probably for 6 0r 7 days. I’m still not able to decide on which rail pass to buy. we will be coming from Paris to Zurich, planning to take a flight from Paris to Zurich or is there a better way to reach Zurich like train.

Thank you

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 May 2017 at 11:29:08 #864091

Hi Dasari23 and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Yes, traveling by train would be much easier, probably cheaper and almost as fast. Have a look at tickets prices here.

As for a rail pass, it depends on where you are traveling to while you are in Switzerland – once you have a rough itinerary you can better decide on the rail pass that is best for you.

Have a look at our rail pass page here for your options. Some passes are for small regions in Switzerland only, some are for the entire country (Swiss Travel Pass).

Once you know what you are doing/where you are going we can help with your decision. Here are some pages that may help you decide: What to do in Switzerland and Where to go.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2017 at 1:13:04 #864092

Thank you Lucas for your reply. Regarding my itinerary, I’m still working on it, so can you please suggest few must visit places to include in my itinerary. It is my first time to Switzerland.

Thank you

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    31 May 2017 at 8:59:54 #864093

Well the most popular attractions in Switzerland are of course the mountains. Did you have a particular reason you decided to visit Switzerland?

Two of the most popular mountains are Jungfraujoch and Pilatus I would say. Also a lake cruise is very popular as well is taking a scenic panoramic train trip. There are many more options listed on the “what to do” link above.

I would look at staying in the towns of Luzern, Interlaken and/or Lauterbrunnen (all close to many mountain attractions and lakes). I wouldn’t spend much time in Zurich if you are looking for outdoor activities and scenery – the Bernese Oberland region is best for that.

I hope that helps with your trip planning – let us know if you have more questions to help your build your itinerary.

• The thread ‘Which rail pass to buy for 6-7 days in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11120 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.