Tickets Zurich to Montreux via Golden Pass route

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2019 at 23:22:51 #822755

Hello, my sister and I will be traveling to Zurich on August 27 wanted to get the Golden Pass .My understanding is I may have to get a train from Zurich to Lucerne. When I was trying to purchase the tickets, it only gives me only the route between Zweisimenn and Montreux . Do I purchase the these and additional tickets using the regular train from Luerne via Interlaken to Zweisemann to start the Golden Pass route? Please advise as I was confused when it mentioned the route all the way to Montreux from Lucerne .

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2019 at 23:33:45 #917383

I have been travelling the Montreux – Zweisimmen – Montreux (the MOB railway – try not to labour too much on the ‘GoldenPass’ branding) on and off for 59 years (and I’m 59…)

Here’s my personal ‘FAQ’:

The Golden Pass rail route:

Current tourist branding can be confusing

1) The true Goldenpass is just the MOB railway Zweisimmen – Montreux.

2) The Luzern – Interlaken railway is actually the Brünig Pass line operated by Zentralbahn (ZB), which dubs the regular trains “Luzern – Interlaken Express’.

It’s OK but not spectacular scenery

3) The ‘bit in the middle’ (Zweisimmen – Spiez – Interlaken) is two branch lines of the full size main line BLS railway, with a mix of local trains (change at Spiez) and some through services Zweisimmen – Interlaken

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 July 2019 at 0:31:48 #917384

Hello Mark and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

You can buy a single ticket for Montreux to Zurich via Zweisimmen and Meiringen.

Use the timetable on the SBB website (bit.ly/2HH1U7B) or the highly-recommended SBB Mobile app (bit.ly/2ICIUHi) to plan your travel, find fares* and buy tickets if required. If you are not familiar with using the timetable it will pay to first read the instructions on this page – http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable. *SBB website shows half-fare prices by default, mobile app allows you to nominate full or half-fare and is also smart enough to offer you the Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass) if that offers the best fare.

You can make reservations for the Golden Pass route (http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass) including seat selection at bit.ly/2kaq6Rf. Click the “e” for English language top right of the page. (where it says “Sprachwahl: d i f e”). Then change the class of travel, date of travel and start/end points to suit. Reservations are not compulsory but are recommended on the Zweisimmen/Montreux leg (which is where the MOB Panoramic and Belle Époque trains operate) during peak tourist season.

• The thread ‘Tickets Zurich to Montreux via Golden Pass route’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11130 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.