1 day Swiss Alps adventure from Geneva

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2016 at 3:35:59 #808394

I will have all day on April 10 and the morning of April 11 to see as much of Switzerland as possible. I would really like to take a train ride up into the Alps but I will be staying in Geneva and most of the panoramic train tours, such as the Golden Pass and Glacier Tours, start several hours from Geneva and I’m not sure how to get to one of the departing locations.

I have never been to Switzerland and I’d like to know my best option for seeing as much as possible in such a short time. I would like to take the full day on April 10 to enjoy a scenic train ride and then spend the morning of April 11 on a boat tour of lake Geneva.

Most of the rail passes are for a minimum of 3 consecutive days so I don’t know if it would be worth the money since I will only have 1 and a half consecutive days to explore Switzerland.

My meeting in Geneva will end around 12:00 April 13 so I will have the afternoon of April 13 and the morning of April 14 to explore a little more before I depart for home.

Any recommendations you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    9 February 2016 at 11:35:03 #848316

Hi Da99885, thanks for your first post here!

The Golden Pass line would be an option. It starts in Montreux so you simply take a train from Geneva to Montreux. Please see here. After arrival in Lucerne you could spend the night there or return via the fast route the same evening.

Either a Swiss Half Fare Card or a 3-day Swiss Travel Pass Flex may work for you. They allow you to enjoy the Golden Pass line on April 10/11 and something else (e.g. the boats or Rochers-de-Naye) on April 13/14.

There are (guided) tour packages as well. In that case you do not need a rail pass. Please see http://www.viator.com/Geneva.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2016 at 18:26:16 #848317

Dear Arno,

Thank you so much for your response I can’t begin to tell you how much I appreciate your expertise. I look forward to my visit next month!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2016 at 18:36:15 #848318

Dear Arno,

One more quick question, can you tell me if there is a big difference between 1st class and 2nd class on the train?

Annika
    7116 posts
    10 February 2016 at 8:09:03 #848319

Hi Da99885!

The difference between 1st and 2nd class is explained here. Does that information answer your question?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2016 at 17:16:45 #848320

Annika,

Thank you so much, yes this answers my question.

• The thread ‘1 day Swiss Alps adventure from Geneva’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.