10 day trip between June 30 – July 10

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 June 2016 at 16:33:00 #809489

Hi, thanks for all the great links and tips. My earlier thread closed so am starting a new one.

My updated itinerary:

• June 30-July 2 (2 nights): Lucerne
    • July 2-5 (3 nights): Wengen
    • July 5-7 (2 nights): Murren
    • July 7-9 (2 nights): Zermatt
    • July 9: Zurich (1 night)

what do you think of this itinerary? Should I skip Lucerne and head to Interlaken or somewhere else?

Have bought a swiss pass for 8 days. Need advice on the following:

1) What are the most scenic trains I should take for the above itinerary?

2) What are the day trips I should definitely do from the above places I am visiting?

3) We like moderate to easy level hiking and cycling. Any trails/routes you would definitely recommend? Do we need to book anything in advance?

Thanks.

Bikkrama

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2016 at 7:45:37 #853284

Advise for Berner Oberland:

– stay only in the hotel in Wengen, change hotels cost time. Wengen and Murren are village close together.

Day trips from Wengen:

Jungfraujoch (only by very good weather on the top)

Schilthorn (only by very good weather on the top)

– Wengen>Lauterbrunnen>Grutschalp> Walk: Grutschalp to Winteregg to Mürren. Mürren to Almendhubel: Walk back to Mürren.

Wengen to Mannlichen: Walk Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg to Wengernalp.

Wengen to Mannlichen to Grindelwald Grund to Grindelwald. Go in citycentre with cablecar to First. Walk to Bachalpsee and back to First. Do on First also the First Cliff walk

Wengen to Lauterbrunnen to Wilderswil: Schynige platte Bahn

Boattrip on Thuner or Brienzersee

Interlaken: Harderbahn with nice few on Interlaken and Jungfrau in afternoon

Steamrailway Brienzer Rothornbahn: walk from Rothorn kulm to Planalp

You can also go to Beatenberg / Niederhorn or to Niesen

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 June 2016 at 8:22:54 #853285

Hi Brahms-

<<“Steamrailway Brienzer Rothornbahn: walk from Rothorn kulm to Planalp”>>

Bikkrama specified “moderate to easy”

Does that hike fit the definition? It starts at quite high altitude – 2240 meters approximately and ends at 1340 meters, with a steep descent.

If you knees are not in extremely good condition, that will really hurt them.

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=e n&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo .pixelkarte-farbe&layers=ch.swisst opo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege&X=181460.00 &Y=643880.00&zoom=7&la yers_visibility=false

Also, this link may be helpful:

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king

And, this-

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim/page/2.

and, maybe this –

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/som mer/tourism/destinatio ns/kleine-scheidegg/hiking-trails/

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2016 at 9:56:15 #853286

Brienzer Rothorn to Planalp is indeed 900 meters downwards, but it is good to walk because the walk is longer (as the Railway) and not so very steep. When you are lucky you can walk in the snow in the summer a little bit……….

But, you can also walk from Spiez to Faulensee, that is indeed a very, very easy walk on the border of the Thunersee and back by boat.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 June 2016 at 15:19:52 #853287

Hi Bikkrama-

Although you could certainly spend your entire trip in the Bernese Oberland and enjoy every bit of it, personally, I believe that Luzern is too good to be missed.

So, I do not agree with Brahm’s advice to skip Luzern.

You could give some thought to choosing only one of Mürren or Wengen, but they are different enough to make it reasonable, if slightly inconvenient, to split your time between them. It is true that access to Schilthorn is easier from Mürren.

In my opinion, I’d stick with the Luzern section. And, it is easy to access from Zürich airport.

http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne

It has a very different feeling from the Bernese Oberland.

Slowpoke

Arno
    15471 posts
    21 June 2016 at 16:22:56 #853288

Brahms didn’t even mention Luzern I think. He just provided some good options for the Berner Oberland part of the itinerary.

I think it makes sense to first stay in Luzern, then the Berner Oberland (I would also pick just one village there), then Zermatt. With 11 days, this is certainly possible, although two base towns would work as well.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    21 June 2016 at 16:51:08 #853289

You’re right.

I misread his first sentence, thinking he meant to skip Luzern and go to Wengen.

My mistake.

Glad you caught it.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2016 at 9:05:23 #853290

Yes, I don’t skip Luzern, but give only some advise of the Berner Oberland. No problem Slowpoke !

Also easy to walk in the Berner Oberland,

– Kleine Scheidegg to Alpiglen (summer and winter)

– First to Bachalpsee to Bort (summer and winter)

– Mannlichen to Alpiglen (summer)

– Böningen to Isetwald (summer)

– Schynige platte to Breitlauenen (summer)

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 June 2016 at 9:49:23 #853291

HI Brahms-

I’ve done some of those when I was not in good condition. Some have significant down hill stretches. If you are not used to that kind of hiking, you can get sore knees fast. I did. ;-(

I’d suggest a look at map that shows altitudes or a conversation with the innkeeper to check that out.

The link that I gave to the Swisstopo map above can help.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2016 at 11:06:38 #853292

But we are in Switserland…. These routes are very easy, unless you’re in a bad physical shape, if that’s the case I recommend you walk from Interlaken Ost to Interlaken West.

Everywhere in the Bernese Oberlands are mountains and therefore hills. The routes I gave you are intended for people with an average physical condition. You can walk these routes with three people next to each other.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 June 2016 at 12:25:33 #853293

Thanks for all the advice.

Could you share some guidance on the most scenic trains with the below plan? Will my swiss pass allow me to travel on all these trains?

June 30-July 2 (2 nights): Lucerne

July 2-5 (3 nights): Wengen

July 5-7 (2 nights): Murren

July 7-9 (2 nights): Zermatt

July 9: Zurich (1 night)

Also should have elaborated on easy to moderate hiking. We are used to hikes within 2.5-3.5 hours that are not too steep. Also we love cycling so would recommend any routes from Wengen, Murren or Zermatt? Would we be able to hire cycles easily?

Arno
    15471 posts
    23 June 2016 at 6:56:00 #853294

Hi Bikkrama,

You’ll find scenic trains and what’s covered in the Swiss Travel Pass (not Swiss Pass) here:

Apart from “official” scenic routes, there are many wonderful train routes all across the country. Too many to list. One of them is Spiez – Kandersteg – Goppenstein – Brig, which can be included while traveling from Mürren to Zermatt.

Bicycle routes will be pretty steep in most areas you mentioned. Mountain bikes can be rented in several places, but I don’t have a list. Your hotel should be able to direct you to the nearest rental place. Some even rent bikes themselves.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 June 2016 at 7:16:24 #853295

Hi Bikkrama

<<“We are used to hikes within 2.5-3.5 hours that are not too steep.”>>

This one definitely fits that requirement:

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/maennlichen-kleinescheidegg

It can be shorter than your time request, but most people stop and look at the scenery… a lot.

Also – here are some ideas:

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en/som mer/tourism/destinatio ns/kleine-scheidegg/hiking-trails/

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 June 2016 at 7:18:36 #853296

<<“unless you’re in a bad physical shape, if that’s the case I recommend you walk from Interlaken Ost to Interlaken West.”>>

Or, along the valley floor between Stechelberg and Lauterbrunnen?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 June 2016 at 9:05:43 #853297

Yes !

• The thread ‘10 day trip between June 30 – July 10’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.