Tips about Wengen and the Jungfrau region by Kim

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

babybab
    Participant
    16 posts
    19 February 2016 at 2:25:09 #840441

Hi Kim,

Thanks for that wonderful article about Wengen, Switzerlandf and surrounding Areas. Very informative especially for a first time visitor to Switzerland like me and my husband.

All the best to you and your husband.

Kind regards

babybab

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 February 2016 at 2:38:23 #840442

Kim, this is so helpful!!!! Thank you for sharing. I am visiting Switzerland in May and just know I’m going to fall in love with this area. I read you prefer September for your visits but wondered if you had any suggestions for easy to moderate hikes that might be clear around May 20-23. Hard to predict the snowmelt I know! Thank you!

kim11
    Participant
    605 posts
    24 February 2016 at 5:39:41 #840443

Hello Amosk,

The scenic and easy walks from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg and Grütschalp to Mürren are almost always open during the early season. Check in with the Tourist Office in village where you are staying and they will be able to provide you with the most up to date information. As you note it is not possible to tell now what trails will be open. In early season it is a day-to-day thing.

NatureGirl
    Participant
    5 posts
    20 March 2016 at 23:01:51 #840444

Wow – this information is invaluable and so very helpful! Thank you so much for the time you put into this and to be so kind to post it.

We visited Lauterbrunnen in July 2014. However, our 2 1/2 days included 2 full days of torrential rain and low cover fog, though we did manage the Eiger trail on the clear 1/2 day (stunning!) and the Grutschalp-Murren on a rainy day, but didn’t see anything due to fog.

Now we are heading back 26-28 May, which I thought I had read would be a good time to see wildflowers and possibly better weather. Is there a possibility of seeing wildflowers somewhere, and what hikes would you recommend for that? Seems much of the higher hikes we had hoped to do won’t be available! Thanks!

kim11
    Participant
    605 posts
    20 March 2016 at 23:17:43 #840445

HI NatureGirl,

Unfortunately you are right, the higher elevation trails are usually closed until mid June at least.

The earliest the higher elevation hikes open are when the transports to reach the trailheads are scheduled to begin operating. However, sometimes the trails don’t open for days or weeks later, it is entirely weather- and snowpack-dependent.

The two hikes I mentioned to Amosk will be open, here is some more detail:

A beautiful valley walk begins in Lauterbrunnen and ends in Stechelberg (or earlier, depending on your inclination). It is about 4 miles long on a wide flat path. You can go as far as Trümmelbach Falls (about half way and highly recommended for a visit) then bus the rest of the way, go as far as the Stechelberg Schilthornbahn station, about 3.5 miles total, or go all the way to Stechelberg where there is a lovely inn that serves delicious lunches. You can take the bus back from any of these stops to Lauterbrunnen. OR, in late May you may even be able to hike all the way up to Gimmelwald or on to Mürren. There is a description of all of this in the series of PDFs you downloaded.

The only walk at elevation that’s pretty sure to be open is the Grütschalp to Mürren route, which you have done. But maybe this time you can see something.

Wildflowers will all be at lower elevations. The very popular “Wildflower Trail” above Mürren doesn’t open until June 9.

The gondola from Wengen to Männlichen (where one begins the easy walk down to Kleine Scheidegg) is usually scheduled to begin operating in mid-May, but often the trail is obscured by snow or mud until mid June. If it is closed it is still well worth taking the gondola trip and walking around the top.

There is also a lovely easy walk along the river (starting in Lauterbrunnen) called the “Natur und Bahn” trail. You pick it up right behind (east) of the train station and follow it as far as you want. It runs to Wilderswil via Zweilütschinen, each of those segments is around 3 miles. You can catch the train back to Lauterbrunnen at either spot.

There are a number of loop trails around Wengen and Mürren that are usually open before mid-June as well. The tourist information center in the respective villages can direct you to these.

NatureGirl
    Participant
    5 posts
    21 March 2016 at 3:53:00 #840446

Your (quick!) reply has been most helpful, thank you very much! We actually did get to Trümmelbach Falls also, as that’s a great place to go during a downpour! 🙂 But we plan to go again, and will head to Wengen this time and follow a few of your other suggestions. We fell in love with the area, and in fact, this trip we’re bringing our daughter to show her how beautiful it is for her college graduation celebration. Even in bad weather, it was one of our favorite places!

udayaditya
    Participant
    55 posts
    3 April 2016 at 9:25:36 #840447

Hello

Where did you stay in Lauterbrunnen?

Udayaditya

Arno
    15484 posts
    3 April 2016 at 11:39:10 #840448

Hi Udayaditya,

You replied to someone who doesn’t have an account anymore, so he/she won’t be notified of your question. If you need help finding accommodation in Lauterbrunnen, please feel free to post in the accommodation forum.

NatureGirl
    Participant
    5 posts
    12 April 2016 at 3:26:59 #840449

Hi there,

Sorry for the delay, as I wasn’t notified of the question as Arno mentioned. We found a room through AirBnB, and were very happy with our stay in the Lauterbrunnen Valley. (in case this helps!)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 June 2016 at 15:38:21 #840450

Hello Kim,

Thank you for all of the hard work you put into your information document on Wengen. It was an immense help to us during our vacation and we referred to it often. Your passion for this beautiful region of Switzerland has rubbed off on us and we hope to return next year.

Cheers,

Kevin

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 August 2016 at 6:29:03 #840451

Kim, marvelous report. Thank you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2016 at 17:48:28 #840452

really good report – thank you.

one question, I am due to stay for just two nights with my 16 year old daughter, and I wondered which would be the better location to stay at – Murren or Wengan? For the day we hope to go to Grimmelwald, but we are not really walkers and I’m scarred of heights… I bet your thinking why are they going… well we really think it looks so beautiful and we would love the Swiss experience, and so far after looking at forums it seems that Murren looks great – but do you recommend Wegan? One thing we are due to travel in off season – at the end of October.

kim11
    Participant
    605 posts
    15 August 2016 at 18:27:38 #840453

Hi lockt,

Both Mürren and Wengen will be extremely quiet in late October as most hotels and restaurants close for a break before ski season. Hotel Bären in Wengen is one that stays open the latest and their last day is 22 October. You may find Grindelwald to be better during your travel dates as it is a larger town at a lower elevation. You can easily get to Wengen and Mürren from there via train/cable train if you would like to look around the villages. However, please note that the cable train Lauterbrunnen to Mürren (via Grütschalp) is closed for maintenance 24 October to 4 November. During these dates the only way to get to Mürren is via the Schilthorn gondola that is near Stechelberg (3 mile walk or bus ride from Lauterbrunnen).

The gondola to Männlichen (from Wengen or from Grindelwald) closes 24 October. So if your travel date is later you will not have access to the spectacular Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg walk described in my document.

Gimmelwald is not a place to spend a day. There is nothing there other than a small mountain inn/hostel that closes 15 October, a school, and a few houses. The scenery from there is lovely but no more so than many other places in the region. Also, please take careful not of spelling. Gimmelwald is a small stop along the Schilthorn gondola run, Grindelwald is a city about 45 minutes away.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 August 2016 at 15:42:38 #840454

thank you for your quick reply – it is a big help. My dates are the 22 to the 24 October, so right at the end of the season. I also wonder what the weather is generally like at that time of the year? I have looked up a few sights and I know it will be cold, which is nice but does it also rain a lot?

We are thinking that we should change plans and go to Grindelwald, as you suggest, but do you think there will be things to do there so late in October and do you know if the gondola’s will also be closed?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    16 August 2016 at 15:55:05 #840455

<<“have looked up a few sights and I know it will be cold, which is nice but does it also rain a lot? “>>

Hi Lockt-

At that time of year especially at the higher altitudes above Wengen, it is just as likely to be snow as rain. Wengen is at about 1300 meters, while Kleine Scheidegg is at about 2060 meters.

it is difficult to predict weather more than 48 hours in advance in the Alps.

http://www.yr.no/place/Switze rland/Bern/Wengen/stat istics.html

http://www.myswissalps.com/ab outswitzerland/nature

Slowpoke

Arno
    15484 posts
    16 August 2016 at 15:55:45 #840456

Hi lockt,

You can use the timetable to check any trip you have in mind for your preferred travel date. The weather can be anything from sun to rain to thunderstorms or even some snow. You won’t know until you check the forecast two days ahead of time.

bk629
    Participant
    26 posts
    3 January 2017 at 20:20:08 #840457

I enjoyed your very informative and helpful document about the Wengen area. Thank you.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    12 February 2017 at 18:17:58 #840458

Wow!! This was SO helpful! Thank you Kim!!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 February 2017 at 1:32:03 #840459

many thanks for the very comprehensive post about Wengen – was there anything you missed out ?? 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 March 2017 at 5:17:34 #840460

Hello Kim,

Your set of PDFs are an INCREDIBLE resource. I’ve printed them out and have read them from cover to cover… more than once. Better than any tour guide; so personable. We are just starting to plan our July 2018 trip to Bernese Oberland with Wengen as our home base for 4 weeks. THANK YOU for the time you put into the guide. It will greatly contribute to making our trip most pleasurable. I look forward to learning more in the forum.

Thank you,

Holly

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 148 total)
  • The thread ‘Tips about Wengen and the Jungfrau region by Kim’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.