11 days Switzerland with Swiss Half Fare Card

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 May 2019 at 22:31:19 #821496

Good afternoon,

This is it! I am leaving for Switzerland on May 16th and arriving Zurich on the 17th. I have 11 days to explore the country and will be using Half-Fare-Card for my entire visit. Kindly review my itinerary below and let me know if there are any places that I should add or remove. I appreciate your honest feedback.

May 17th through May 20th [3 ½ days in Luzern]

• Old town, Lake Luzern

Chapel Bridge/Lion Monument

The wall/Glacier Garden/Reuss River

May 18th

Mount Rigi

Thermal bath

May 19th

Mt. Titlis

Time permits – visit Bern

May 20th

Pilatus in the morning [weather permitting]

3 ½ days in Murren: May 20 through 23rd via Interlaken Ost

Explore Murren neighborhood and towns: Wengen, Grindelwald, Birg, Schilthorn & Gimmelwald

1 night in Montreaux – May 23

Chateau de Chillon

Lake Geneva

Rochers-de-Naye

2 days in Zermatt – May 24-26

Gornergrat [views of the matterhorn]

Klein Matterhorn Cablecar

Sunegga

1 night in Zurich – May 26th

Flight back to the U.S. @ 2 p.m. on the 27th

P.S. My back-up plan in the event of rain [explore Bern or Geneva]

P.S. Since I am not sure whether the train tickets are for round-trip or one way I have priced my train travels using Half-Fare-Card and came up with the following calculations. P

Prices are with HALF-FARE card

Train from Zürich to Luzern @ 13:15 – 14:25 departure CHF $15

Mt. Rigi $58.50

Thermal Bath $37.00

Titlis $12

Train from Luzern to Interlaken Ost $16.50

Interlaken to Murren $9.40

Murren to Lauterbrunnen $5.60

Lauterbrunnen to Grindelwald $4.50

Grindelwald to Murren $10.10

Murren to Birg $13.50

Birg to Schilthorn $12.50

Schilthorn to Gimmelwald $28

Gimmelwald to Murren $3.00

Train from Interlaken to Murren $9.40

Train to Interlaken to Montreux $9.40

Train to Montreux to Zermatt $37 [maybe Saver day pass will be cheaper than HFC for this journey]

To Gornergrat $24.50

Train from Zermatt to Zurich $62.50 [I am thinking of buying the Saver day pass for this journey]

Thank you ALL very much!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2019 at 1:36:04 #911780

Hi! Following this thread and I am going to Switzerland on the same dates but staying in Zurich for 2 days and then going to Wengen for 4 nights after that. But no other plans. This will help.

Luke
    Participant
    105 posts
    7 May 2019 at 6:56:47 #911781

Hi Teodora,

Train tickets are always for the route you search for and therefore just one-way. http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable AND the prices on the timetable are by default the Swiss half fare price.

I can’t say you should add or subtract anything as I don’t know your interests. The main thing is to use the timetable to make sure your travel plans are doable for you (and your group if any) on each day.

Next, be flexible on plans based on the weather in the morning. Be ready to switch plans to go to a different mountain for example, based on how to weather looks at the peak (check the mountain’s website and webcams).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 May 2019 at 8:06:22 #911782

Hello Teodora,

I agree with Luke that you’re itinerary is very well worked out and the do-ability of it depends on you mainly.

For details of validity of the Swiss Half Fare Card, as well as purchase options and other practical information use these links:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isshalffarecard
    http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/switzerland halffare

You will find most of your destinations incl. lots of helpful input about them on this page by typing them into the search bar.

Enjoy your trip and feel free to get back to us anytime, also with a nice trip report! 😉

Best,
    Steph

• The thread ‘11 days Switzerland with Swiss Half Fare Card’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.