Are you using any maps as part of your planning process? There’s Google Maps of course, and the map showing where the Swiss Travel Pass is valid also gives you a good idea of where places are in relation to each other, and what modes of transport link them. Attached to that map is another map clearly showing where the panoramic routes are.
Approximate travel times for the scenic routes (one way) are as follows:
- Glacier Express from Zermatt to St Moritz: 8 hours
- Bernina Express from Chur to Tirano: 4.25 hours
- Golden Pass line (full) from Luzern to Montreux: 5 hours
- Golden Pass Line (part) from Luzern to Interlaken Ost: almost 2 hours
- Golden Pass line (part) from Interlaken Ost to Montreux: 3 hours
- Gotthard Panorama Express (boat and train) from Luzern to Lugano: 5.5 hours
- Palm Express (PostBus) from Lugano to St Moritz: almost 4 hours
- Voralpen-Express from Luzern to St. Gallen: 2.25 hours
- RegioExpress Lötschberger (full) from Bern to Brig: 1.75 hours
- RegioExpress Lötschberger (part) from Spiez to Brig: Just over 1 hour
- Centovalli Railway from Locarno to Domodossola: 1.75 hours
If you want to calculate travel time for short sectors along these routes, you can use the Swiss Timetable:
>> Also how do we incorporate the Bernia Express into this trip or if its at all possible?
It’s called the Bernina Express. Please see the map of panoramic routes to see where the Bernina Express route is in relation to the places you will be staying at.
>> *Stay Wengen (1 night, 2 nites in Lauterbrenun)
It's Lauterbrunnen. Staying in either Wengen or Lauterbrunnen (not both) would avoid wasting time checking in and out. I would prefer Wengen for the views and village ambience.
>> Places like to visit :
- Harder Kulum - Harder Kulm
- Grinderwald - Grindelwald
- Murren - Mürren or Muerren if you cannot type ü
- Thrumbach Waterfall - Trümmelbach Falls
Care with spelling of place names will make your research easier ;-) And less likely to confuse us …
>> *Stay Lucene … Take bus to Iseltwald
This looks odd. Iseltwald is on the Brienzersee (Lake Brienz). That’s near Interlaken, not Luzern/Lucerne. What are you planning to do at Iseltwald?
>> Lucerne – Chur – normal train?
>> Chur – Zermatt – Glacier Express?
At this time of year, the Glacier Express departs Chur for Zermatt at 11:26, 12:26 and 14:16. Do those departure times suit your plans?
>> Places to visit in Zermatt … Rhone Valley … Gothard Panaroma Express (possible?)
Where exactly in the Rhone Valley do you plan to go?
The Gotthard Panorama Express runs between Lugano and Luzern. It’s not near Zermatt. Please take a look at the map of panoramic routes.
>> Zermatt to Montreux via Golden Pass Line
This is the long way round, taking you back almost to Interlaken before heading towards Montreux, but worth it for the scenery if you have enough time. See attached journey map.
>> should we just stay at Montreux for Day 10 – 12? as we understand that train ride from Montreux to Geneva Airport is about over 1 hr only?
I would. Direct trains from Montreux to Geneva Airport take between 1 hr 8 mins and 1 hr 34 mins, depending on which train you take. Make sure to plan all your trips using the Swiss Timetable (link above).