12 hours in Zurich – day ticket

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2018 at 11:05:46 #814967

Hello everyone

I am so happy that I have a chance to return to Switzerland after 2 years. But this time is just a 12 hours stop over between my trip to Amsterdam. I will land at 6:30am in the morning and take 8pm flight to Amsterdam

I would like to take this opportunity to travel around the city and planned to buy a day ticket (24hour) which allow me to travel from airport to city and return in the day, but I am not sure which district would be covered? As I will be staying at Affoltern, can I use the day ticket to travel to Baden? or may Winterthur? or this ticket can only allow me to stay with the Zurich city centre?

that would be great of there is anyone can help with the coverage of a day ticket please?

Many thanks

Sumsum

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2018 at 16:16:36 #879864

Hi Sumsum,

The Zurich day pass can cover Winterthur, it doesn’t cover Baden. Affoltern is in zone 110 on the ZVV map and Winterthur is in zone 120. Both zones count for two zones and you have to travel through two more zones to get to Winterthur. So this would mean that you need a day pass for 6 zones which cost CHF26,-.

It could be cheaper to buy point to point tickets with SBB (Swiss railway). Use our timetable here to enter your journey (to and from and dates) to see the costs for individual tickets. The price you will see is the Swiss Half Fare Card price (used by many Swiss) you will have to double the price to get full fare.

I hope that helps, let me know if you have further questions. Check out our information page on Zurich for more details as well.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2018 at 10:51:10 #879865

Hi Chantal

Thanks for your reply! What if I stay at Affoltern and only travel to Zurich city. Can I use the day ticket which costs CHF8.8? which should be included on and off from the Airport, right?

Many thanks

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2018 at 16:14:11 #879866

Hi Sumsum,

The airport is in zone 121. So that’s an additional zone and the total price will be CHF 13.60.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 March 2018 at 8:46:19 #879867

Thank you very much Chantal.

I will go ahead and buy this day ticket 😀

• The thread ‘12 hours in Zurich – day ticket’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.