Is there 1st class on all Swiss trains?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 March 2016 at 15:26:33 #808726

Are there 1st class seats or compartments available on all Swiss trains.? I am using a third party to do my booking and getting a 1st class 4day Swill Rail Pass and they have me travelling in 2nd class from the Zurich airport to Lucerne

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    26 March 2016 at 17:32:17 #849903

Hi livkid1, welcome to MySwissAlps!

1st class compartments are typically available in all regular trains, not in buses and mountain trains. It’s explained here. 1st class seats are definitely available between Zurich and Lucene, so I’m not sure why your booking agency comes up with 2nd class seats for this route. They may assume you need seat reservations, but note that this isn’t the case. Seat reservations are hardly necessary in Swiss trains and this also applies to Zurich-Lucerne. With a 1st class Swiss Travel Pass, you can simply board any train and pick any free 1st class seat.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 March 2016 at 14:33:27 #849904

Thank you so much for the quick reply. How can I book a 4 day /variable days pass so that I can use it on different days? Do I have to specify the days of my travel between the cities ?

Annika
    7116 posts
    27 March 2016 at 15:31:46 #849905

Hi livkid1,

I think the Swiss Travel Pass Flex is what you’re looking for, right? Purchase options are listed here. While ordering you’ll have to enter a start date for your pass, but this only indicates the start of the 1 month period in which you can use your 4 free travel days. You don’t have to enter these 4 dates yet while ordering; you can do so on the spot, before you start traveling that day. It’s explained here too.

• The thread ‘Is there 1st class on all Swiss trains?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.