2N/3D dream trip in Zurich, Pilatus, Rhine falls

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 August 2017 at 7:45:30 #812954

Dear all, recently joined the forum and found it treasure trove of information.

I have multiple questions for our next family trip to Zurich from 23rd September,2017 for 2 nights/3 days.

Day1: Reach Zurich and Check in Hotel in airport area: AFTERNOON tour to Zurich Lake boat ride. Walk on Bahnhofstrasse. churches of Fraumünster and Grossmünster, Lindenhof Hill, the Swiss National Museum, and Zurich Opera House. Overnight in Hotel

Day2: Early Morning Train to Lucerne to Mt Pilatus and back to Rhine fall or in Morning Rhine falls to Lucerne to avoid Morning rush in Mt Pilatus.Back to Zurich. overnight in Hotel

Day3: Morning Check out from Hotel : Visit to Geneva / en route any spot there? and back to Zurich. Evening overnight bus to Paris.

Is the tour itinerary ok?

Which will be cheaper rail pass or travel pass for (3days) ? online purchase will be better?

Day2 /3 tour : Both the days will be quite hectic as for my two lil kids. But due to costliest hotel fare I can not afford more than two days in Zurich.How to best use the days and can see once the places ? what will be Best routes from ex zurich to go the places and evening return?

Required any reservation anywhere for this route specially for Mt.Pilatus? Cograil will be better as per http://www.myswissalps.com/us er/Slowpoke.If so from which station near to Zurich can we get cograil train ? Any other valuable suggestions

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 August 2017 at 12:22:35 #868309

Hi kamaldatta and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I’m glad you have found the information here useful. Let’s see about your specific questions:

Everything looks fine except day 3, is there a specific reason why you want to visit Geneva? It is about 3.5 hours each way from Zurich. You can also easily take a train or bus to Paris from Geneva so there isn’t a need to come back to Zurich.

You can use the Swiss railways timetable here to help plan your trips – it will give you the fastest route automatically.

You can read about getting to Mt. Pilatus here – you don’t need to book ahead but it can get busy at times. I would skip the RheinFalls and just visit Mt. Pilatus and explore the town of Luzern.

I do think for your trip the Swiss Travel Pass is the best option. It will cover all your train trips planned around Switzerland. You can then order the Swiss Family Card to cover your children if needed (if they are between 6 and 15, 5 and under travel free without any ticket or pass).

It would be easiest to buy online (pricing should be the same give or take the exchange rate). If you buy online you don’t have to wait in line at the rail office after landing in Zurich. You will also have an electronic back-up in case you lose your pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 August 2017 at 14:53:29 #868310

thanks Lucas.your early reply truly appreciated.

can you pl.suggest some day3 itinerary instead Geneva that day? have to back by evening to Zurich also.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 August 2017 at 17:17:15 #868311

It depends on what you would like to see and do.

Have a look at a list of towns in Switzerland here. Be sure to click on the town link and then click on the what to do tab to see what is around. Towns most easily reached as a day trip from Zurich would be: Bern, Basel, or possibly Lauterbrunnen but that is a longer day – too long perhaps.

Lucas

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 August 2017 at 18:39:06 #868312

Hi Kamaldatta-

Hotels in Zürich are definitely expensive. Lots of business travelers, as well as tourist passing through.

Luzern (German spelling, which is what you will see in the area) is similar, in that case, because of the tourist demand. Often, less expensive than Zürich, but not by much. Interlaken as well has high tourist demand, although demand is tapering off in late September in the region.

My suggestion is to spend the first night either in Luzern,, or nearby, where cheaper accommodations can be found. After some time in and near Luzern, take the train to somewhere near Interlaken. Explore the Jungfrau area a bit, stay in one of the smaller villages, and after some more time on day 3, take the train or train and bus to Paris. I have not priced bus service, but train service from Interlaken to Paris is excellent, going through Bern.

Without having actually checked prices, towns north of Luzern along the train line are cheaper, as well as along the lake in places such as Merlischachen and other towns along that train line.

Check this sites pages for those major towns , and look under “hotels” as on this page which I have chosen for an example.:

http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne

Near Interlaken, you could look in Wilderswil, or, better for scenery, in the valley at Lauterbrunnen, Grindelwald or other towns.

Also:

http://www.myswissalps.com/ac commodation

At Luzern you get a beautiful old city, mountains and a beautiful lake.

Near Interlaken, outstanding alpine scenery.

Slowpoke

jlovda
    Participant
    51 posts
    16 August 2017 at 14:34:00 #868313

Regarding your walk down the Bahnhofstrasse in Zürich. The Bahnhofstrasse goes from the main train station to the lake shore but only the first half is shopping (many expensive jewelry stores). From my memory, the second part is quiet office space. If you have a street map I would suggest instead you turn left (assuming you are walking toward the lake) on the Rennweg, an angled street, that takes you to the beautiful old city. You will come to the the church with the largest clock face (you can see it on all the city pictures) and nearby, walk up a steep sidewalk to Lindenhof, a park which overlooks the Limmat River. a BEAUTIFUL view. If you search Lindenhof on Google Maps it will show you several pictures of what I am taking about). Go back down through the old town (very short walk) and cross the river by the Alte Rathaus (the old city hall) and finish your walk to the lake along the Limmatquai. It is the street and sidewalk that follows the river down to the lake and the boats. Many great views along the walk. I have taken this walk many times since the hotel I always stay at is near the Central Platz, across the Limmat River from the train station and the beginning of the Limmatquai.

• The thread ‘2N/3D dream trip in Zurich, Pilatus, Rhine falls’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.