3 Days in Alpine region – Itinerary advice

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 September 2015 at 14:22:31 #807951

Hello,

I will be arriving in Zurich the morning of October 23rd and will be leaving from Zurich the morning of October 27th. I will be meeting up with my husband who will be in Rapperswil already for work. We have 3 full days together and have plans to travel to Lucerne and Interlaken. I am wondering is I can squeeze Bern in there or if it will be really tight.

My initial itinerary thoughts are:

Oct 23rd – arrive Zurich 8:00am. Tour Zurich by myself. Husband will travel to Zurich in the afternoon when he is done his work. Take late afternoon/early evening train to Lucerne in evening and spend night in Lucerne. Alternative to this is that I head straight to Rapperswil in the am and meet him there. We can then leave from Rapperswil to Lucerne.

Oct 24th – Tour Lucerne for the day. Take late afternoon/early evening train (5:00ish) to Interlaken. Spend night in Interlaken.

Oct 25th – Go up to ‘Top of the World” Jungfrau early morning (I think this is the last day for the Good morning ticket, but I can still get other tickets as well, right?) Take later afternoon/early evening train to Bern. Spend night in Bern.

October 26th – Tour Bern. Take late afternoon/early evening train to Zurich. Spend night in Zurich.

October 27th – morning flight home from Zurich.

I am concerned that I am being way to aggressive with my itinerary and am looking for feedback. I really want to go to Interlaken, but think that I may have to choose between Bern and Lucerne, in which case I am leaning more towards Lucerne.

Also, as it will be late October I am planning for fall clothing, however heard that it can be -20°C on the top of Jungfrau. I’m trying to pack light and don’t want to pack a fall jacket and a winter parka. Do I need hiking boots for Jungfrau if we are just planning the lookout or can I get away with my regular walking boots? I calculated train tickets based on this itinerary and don’t think that the rail pass will be worth it, even with the discount at Jungfrau.

Any input/advice is welcome! I’m looking to make the most of my short stay in your beautiful country!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    17 September 2015 at 10:24:10 #846150

Hi Tbird,

I would recommend to get Swiss Half Fare Cards. They save you a lot of money on the Jungfraujoch trip. More than with a Good Morning ticket in fact, and you won’t be bound to a specific time (or date). All trains are 50% off with this card, so your husband can travel to Zurich for a lower price as well (or you to Rapperswil). Please see myswissalps.com/ swisshalffarecard for all the details, and where to best buy your cards.

Your itinerary is doable, but I would not stay in both Interlaken and Bern. Staying two nights in one of these towns gives you more flexibility: you can visit Jungfraujoch on the best weather day and visit Bern on the other day. Please see our Interlaken and Bern pages to find out what appeals more to you, and hotel suggestions.

Regular walking boots are fine for Jungfraujoch. You can see and do a lot indoors, and a short walk outdoors won’t be a problem. Take sun glasses and dress in layers as explained here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 September 2015 at 12:12:49 #846151

Hi Arno,

Thank you so much for your advice. This is very helpful. I will look into the Swiss Half Fare Cards.

BHUPENDER
    Participant
    17 posts
    18 September 2015 at 11:13:03 #846152

Hi

Idea is great

but itenary is bit hectic.

here are my suggestions.

Join your husband at work, not much to see in Zurich in hurry ,distances are far.

Draft tour itenary fr you

Oct 23rd – arrive Zurich 8:00am. head straight to Rapperswil in the am and meet him there. We can then leave from Rapperswil to Lucerne.

Oct 24th – Tour Lucerne, cover transport museum, chapel bridge, lake etc. better stay at lucerne,this will be your first night in switerzerland do not get tired by traveling to interlaken.

Oct 25th – Take morning train to interlakn – 2 hour. Go up to ‘Top of the World” Jungfrau ( if weather permits/else cover Mount Titlis). stay at interlaken for a night

October 26th – Morning train to Bern. Spend whole day exploring Bern. Take evening train to Zurich after 4 Pm or so . Spend night in Zurich.

October 27th – morning flight home from Zurich

You can find train timings on following link

Rough timimngs

Lucenre to Interlaken 2 hours

Interlaken to Bern 1 hour

Bern to Zurich slightly more than 1 hour .

Sorry for suggesting too much .

enjoy your trip

fahrplan.sbb.ch/bin/qu ery.exe/dn

• The thread ‘3 Days in Alpine region – Itinerary advice’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.