3 days in Lucerne and the Jungfrau region in April

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 February 2020 at 18:20:17 #825136

Hello. My friends and I will be in Switzerland this April as part of a roadtrip around Europe. Would so appreciate if anyone can help review my 3-days itinerary and see if there’s any improvements that can be made. We very much like to explore the natural beauty that the Jungfrau region has to offer.

April 4 (Saturday)

– Drive from Heidelberg, Germany to Rhinefalls – Southern Bank.

– Lake Lucerne. Take scenic boat tour.

– Check in to Lauterbrunnen

April 5 (Sunday)

– Head to Grindelwald-First. Explore Lake Bachalpsee and Tissot viewing point. Go on Flying Ridge activity.

– Drive to Lake Blausee.

– Return to Lauterbrunnen

April 6 (Monday)

– Head to Schilthorn via Stechelberg. Return to Lauterbrunnen via Grutschalp.

– Drive to Montreux, Lake Geneva.

– Check in to Thonon Les Bains

Questions:

– according to the rail pass calculator, it looks like it’s better for us to pay full price rail tickets to Grindelwald-First and Schilthorn (plus the boat ride in Lake Lucerne), than getting the Swiss Half-Fare card. Is this correct? Are there any cost-saving options that can be used aside from the Half-Fare card?

– is the itinerary ok or too ambitious?

– is early April a good time for hiking activities, particulary to Lake Bachalpsee?

Thanks in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    7 February 2020 at 12:56:44 #929649

Hi r3na,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

Your itinerary looks fairly doable.

Just to let you know, April may be too early for normal hiking to Bachalpsee but the trail is open and will likely be covered in snow. Make sure you are wearing the right gears for hiking in the cold and riding on the First Flyer. http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking/preparation

I assume you have used our handy spreadsheet and did your numbers as explained here: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass

If you have followed all the steps correctly, you should be able to decide which railpass works best for you or if you need a railpass at all for your trip.

These links may also be useful for your trip:

Regards,

Anna

Annika
    7124 posts
    8 February 2020 at 8:22:09 #929650

Hi r3na! I think you’re close to the break-even point for a Swiss Half Fare Card with those trips. It pretty much depends on how long (and thus how expensive) your boat trip at Lake Lucerne will be. If you plan one or two more trips by public transportation, a Swiss Half Fare Card will probably become more economical. Just to make sure, did you use full-fare rates when comparing the options, rather than the 50% discounted ones displayed by default in the SBB timetalbe (http://www.myswissalps.com/timetable)?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2020 at 7:24:58 #929651

Hi Anna & Annika –

Thanks for your reply and advise! I appreciate it. Noted on ensuring proper winter gear if we are keen to hike.

Annika, I used the SBB app and made sure I clicked on the ‘return’ fare to get the total fare amount. And you’re right about getting close to break-even point so an extra one or more trips may justify getting the Swiss Half Fare Card.

However, I think I might just drive our car from Lauterbrunnen and park at Grindelwald Station. A full-day flat rate parking fee costs only CHF25 versus paying the Lauterbrunnen-Grindelwald train fare for the 6 of us. This might help cut down time and cost, and the Swiss Half Fare card may not be needed after all. I hope I’m right. 🙂

• The thread ‘3 days in Lucerne and the Jungfrau region in April’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.