3 Days in Lucerne in July – how to plan?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 June 2016 at 9:06:55 #809547

Hello Team,

I am reaching Zurich with my family (4 adults and 2 kids-9yr and 4 yr) from Paris on 8th July at 11:30 AM.

I have my hotel booked in Lucerne from 8th to 10th July. Check out is on 11th at 8 AM.

I have planned to visit below places and want your help in understanding if the plan is good/feasible or not. Any changes/suggestions are most welcome as this is my first time in Switzerland

8 July : Paris–>Reach Zurich 2pm–> Keep stuff on Railway station and visit Rhine Fall–>Buy Swiss pass in Zurich station. After visiting Rhine falls, I plan to go to Lucerne hotel by 7 PM train ? Is this possible ?

9th July : start in morning 9 AM from Lucerne and visit Mount Rigi and come back…what else I can do ?

10th July: start in morning 9 AM from Lucerne and visit Mt. Titlis and Mt. Jungfrau, Thun Lake. is this possible to cover all in one day ?

11th July : start morning 8 am to Milan

Basically I have not gone deep to plan trip by boat etc. So if you can plan a good itenary for me covering the above said places, would be great help !!

Thanks

Gaurav

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    27 June 2016 at 11:12:57 #853528

Hi Gaurav, thank you for your first post here!

Your plan for July 8 is doable. However, you have very little time and personally I would skip Zurich and the Rhine Fall and focus on the Lucerne area. Unlike Zurich, Lucerne is very close to the mountains. And it offers much more than you’ll be able to do in 3 days. I would get off the train from Paris in Basel (the Swiss border) and take a direct train to Lucerne from there.

Regardless of whether you follow your original plan or the above alternative, be sure to print your Swiss Travel Pass (you do not need a Swiss Pass) at home. That will save you time and makes sure you won’t miss the first available train. You can do so through http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list. They will e-mail the pass (no delivery fees), so you can print it at home. Do so no later than July 2 or so, as it takes a few business days to process and e-mail orders.

Your plan for July 10 is not possible. Even if you would only visit Jungfraujoch, it would take the entire day from Lucerne, so no room for something else. Please see myswissalps.com/lucern e/activities for many activities in and around Lucerne.

antz
    Participant
    40 posts
    28 June 2016 at 14:47:39 #853529

Hi, Gaurav

I agree , it is too rush for you to go Rhine Fall. As I remember it took us over 5 hours for the whole visit because you would face a long Q at the boat station and waiting for the train back.

There is a Transport Museum in Lucerne and I suggest you should go to visit. It should be good for the children too.

• The thread ‘3 Days in Lucerne in July – how to plan?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.