3 days itinerary

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 January 2015 at 10:20:44 #806788

Hi! Me and my wife will be visiting switzerland for 3 days in April. Hoping you guys could help me with itinerary. We prefer a scenic trip to the mountains. Thank you.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 January 2015 at 11:07:38 #841486

pls advise if this is feasible:

Day1 and 2: arrive in zurich at 0900. take the train to Zermatt. Spend 2 nights

Day3: Zermatt to Lucern. Spend a day and a night in Lucern

Day4: Back to Zurich. Late flight at 2100.

Pls advise on the trains, and transport and also things to do in Zermatt and Lucerne. ]

Thank you

Annika
    7104 posts
    8 January 2015 at 19:17:38 #841487

Hi maciejjacek, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

The itinerary you mention is fine. It really depends on what’s your main goal. For such a short stay you can indeed visit one or two towns at the most. You may cut down on traveling time a bit by not visiting Zermatt all the way in the south, but focusing on the Lucerne and/or Interlaken regions instead. The timetable allows you to check such traveling times.

You’ll probably be making quite some long journeys anyway, so it’s wise to look into a rail pass. A 4 day Swiss Travel Pass would be the most convenient option. Whether it’s the cheapest solution as well, can only be told if your itinerary is fixed and if you make detailed calculations as explained here.

These pages will provide you with information on the towns/regions mentioned, including tips for day trips, excursions and hotels:

Mind that many cable cars and mountain trains will be closed in April for maintenace. Main attractions like Rigi, Schilthorn, Jungfraujoch and Gornergrat are accessible (nearly) all year though.

If you like scenic train journeys and travel between Lucerne and Interlaken (or further south), make sure to consider the Golden Pass. It’s for free with a Swiss Travel Pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 January 2015 at 11:32:44 #841488

Hi Annika,

Thank you fro the reply. We want to go to Mt Pilatus while were in Lucerne, will it be accessible on April given that cable cars will be closed? Any alternative to go to Mt. Pilatus

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 January 2015 at 11:38:58 #841489

Also, what is the best train catch from lucerne to zermatt? Thanks

Annika
    7104 posts
    15 January 2015 at 14:28:18 #841490

Hi maciejjacek,

The pIlatus should be accessible again from April 1, if the construction works will be completed as planned. Rigi is wonderful as well (completely different experience though), and free with a Swiss Travel Pass. And Stanserhorn will be open from April 11.

I’m not sure what you mean by the best train. The quickest connections are in the timetable I referred to in my previous post. Or did you mean the most scenic route?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 January 2015 at 14:48:32 #841491

Hi Anika

What is the best route in going to Rigi from Lucerne? Can it be a half day trip? Thanks

Arno
    15471 posts
    15 January 2015 at 15:20:29 #841492

Hello,

The routes are explained on the Rigi page Annika provided in her last post. You can visit the Rigi in half a day.

• The thread ‘3 days itinerary’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.