3 days only

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 September 2014 at 15:00:49 #806628

Hello

I need your help desperately in deciding which train pass to buy? I’m traveling to zurich on November 7th, and would like to stay in Lucerne November 7th to 9th. Then travel back to zurich and stay one night the 9th.I need best advice on which pass is best to cover transport from zurich airport to lucerne, rail within lucerne, trip from lucerne to zurich, rail within zurich and then back to airport.Thank you

linda

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    7 September 2014 at 16:39:55 #841023

Hello Linda,

I’m not sure whether you need a pass. If so, the Swiss Half Fare Card may be the cheapest option, but it all depends on the details of your travel plans, e.g. whether you plan to make day trips out of Lucerne. This guide on how to pick the best pass will be a good starting point. Please feel free to get back to us if you have further questions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 September 2014 at 3:51:18 #841024

Annika hello. This is my itenerary:

arrive Zurich Airport November 7 at 4pm, and need to get to Lucerne. Stay in Lucerne November 7 to November 9th. Expect to do daily trips within the City and it’s surroundings. Maybe take train to Milan for a day trip.

Return to Zurich on November 9th and stay one night. Will stay in town and travel within Zurich only. Leave to Zurich Airport on November 10th.

Thanks for your help

Annika
    7116 posts
    21 September 2014 at 9:00:59 #841025

Hi Linda. It’s still hard to tell, since it matters greatly what kind of day trips you plan to make. For example, it will make a huge difference whether or not you include a trip to Milano or not (by the way, do check the timetable for traveling times: a day trip to and from Milano is hardly doable) and if you stay in Lucerne or also explore the region, and so on. You can only tell for sure if you make a detailed list of plans and start calculating as explained in the guidelines I referred to in my previous post.

If your plans remain unsure, my advise would be to look into a 4 day Swiss Saver Pass. It provides maximum flexibility, including urban transportation in Lucerne and Zurich, lots of free day trips in the areas, free traveling throughout the country, etc. You can adapt your plans at the spot if you want. The Swiss Half Fare Card is worth considering too.

• The thread ‘3 days only’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.