5 day Switzerland trip early June – Need help

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 April 2016 at 19:56:21 #808931

Hi

I’ll be travelling to Switzerland with my Family (wife and two kids 6 &11) in early June for 5 days and 4 nights. Need you help to plan my trip.

Day 1 – I’ll be landing in Zurich in the evening and have booked a hotel near to the airport. Plan is just to rest and have dinner either in Central Zurich or near hotel.

Day 2 – Leave Zurich early in the morning (0700 hrs) and go to Lucerne. Drop luggage there and continue journey to Engelberg. Visit Mount Titlis and then spend rest of the day in lucern and finally take train to Lauterbrunnen where i have booked my stay for 3 nights.

Question#1 – Does Engelberg station has a left luggage facility so i don’t need to break my journey at Lucerne?

Day 3 – Leave early morning for a trip to jungfraujoch region – if time permits visit trummelbach falls in evening.

Day 4 – Leave early for a trip to Murren & Mount schiltron – if time permits visit trummelbach falls in evening

Day 5 – Check out early from hotel (0700 hrs) and take train from Lauterbrunnen to Rhinefalls. Spend 3-4 hours and then take train to Zurich Airport. My return flight is at 6 PM so need to be at airport by 4 PM.

Question#2 – Can i see any other attraction on my way back ?

Question#3 – Does any of the station near to Rheinfall has a left luggage facility?

Question#4 – I’m thinking of buying the Swiss travel pass for 4 days and use it on Day2-5. Would this be the cheaper option with the above plan or should i go for Swiss half fare pass?

Thanks

Sid

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2016 at 8:52:56 #850850

There are small lockers at the train station in Engelberg. During the opening time of the sales outlet, it’s possible to place bigger luggage there.

Arno
    15484 posts
    17 April 2016 at 9:15:42 #850851

That’s good to know, thanks. I didn’t think there were lockers, but there’s definitely an office for luggage storage.

Arno
    15484 posts
    17 April 2016 at 9:21:22 #850852

#2 A short stop in Bern might be possible. Please check the timetable for options.

#3 I don’t think so. There are lockers in Schaffhausen but it would probably be more practical at Zurich airport as that’s where you’ll be going eventually.

#4 You’d better do the math to be sure. It’s the only way to tell.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2016 at 9:26:11 #850853

The lockers info Engelberg is from the Zentrall Bahn website.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2016 at 10:28:55 #850854

Hi brahms

thanks for the feedback. I have done some maths and it looks like the the half rate pass is a better option as the whole trip is 80 chf cheaper that Swiss travel pass.

The other difference is that you have to purchase ticket for every journey from ticket office.. which might be time consuming.

Q- How are the queues normally in early june? I don’t mind paying extra to skip long queues

Arno
    15484 posts
    17 April 2016 at 12:54:55 #850855

It’s hard to predict queues at any given place, date and time. Normally it does not take very long, but if a large group happens to be there it will be different. Queues will be longer in popular towns and at airports, but even there you can be lucky. Note that there are ticketing machines as well. Those are usually quicker.

Where to buy the Swiss Half Fare Card or Swiss Travel Pass can be found here:

Both passes can be printed at home. As you live in the UK you can go to http://www.swisstravelsystem. co.uk and select “Online Ticket” when they ask for your delivery preference.

• The thread ‘5 day Switzerland trip early June – Need help’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.