5 days in Switzerland during winter business trip

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 December 2016 at 14:35:55 #810429

Hi, I would be in Switzerland for a month on business trip. But I will be blocking out 5.5 days for free and easy trip around. I also would be free on 3 weekends ( sat and sun) to move around and explore, so far this is my plan below. I would like to seek some kind help in the plan below if it is good ?

I would be travelling during Mid Jan to Mid Feb (winter time)

I Would like to focus on Mountain alps, not to climb them. But to witness the peak on a cable car/train

Not going to ski, prefer scenery or some light shopping

Travelling alone after business trip

Tips I researched

1) to get hotels with breakfast

2) wear layers

5.5 days

Glacier express -> From St Moritz to Zermatt

Klein Matterhorn – Glacier Paradise /or Glacier 3000

Interlaken-> see Schilthorn and Höheweg

Zurich airpot -> Home

*concern would I be able to see much during winter time ?

Any other places to travel and look around or mountains I can just skip

Lastly I would have 3 weekends to move around, where are the short trips I can make as well ?

Any advice is greatly appreciated and grateful to. Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    9 December 2016 at 15:09:18 #857351

Hi BrianBrian, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Where will you be based?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 December 2016 at 15:27:33 #857352

Hi Arno, i will be based in Le Chenit

Annika
    7116 posts
    10 December 2016 at 13:45:09 #857353

Hi BrianBrian,

As Le Chenit is in the very west of Switzerland, I’d recommend to change the order of your 5.5 day trip: first head for Zermattand visit Klein Matterhorn/Gornergrat, then take the Glacier Express to St. Moritz and end with Interlaken/Zurich. Note that the Höheweg in Interlaken isn’t that special; it’s just the main (tourist) shopping street. The timetable and the pages I linked to will help you to plan your trips in detail.

Of course there are other itineraries as well, that may help you reduce traveling times. For example, visit Montreux, take the Golden Pass towards Interlaken and spend some days there, maybe with a side trip to Zermatt that can be done within one day, then head for Lucerne and Zurich. You’ll definitely be able to enjoy snow-capped alpine scenery in winter! Just keep in mind that sun still sets quite early in January/February, so don’t plan too much after the (late) afternoon.

As for your remaining weekends: Le Chenit is a bit remote and thus requires quite some traveling time to other destinations. You’d best focus on the Lake Geneva, Fribourg and Neuchatel regions if you want to limit the amount of traveling time. If you don’t mind a couple of longer days, you may want to include Bern and/or Basel. Visiting Gstaad and Glacier3000 might also doable, but you’ll have to leave early and return late.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 December 2016 at 2:47:49 #857354

Hi Annika, thank you for the recommendation 🙂

I understand the sun sets pretty early during Jan-Feb month, would it be possible for me to set a base hotel somewhere for the places I wanted to go ? Because I will be carrying a big luggage and my concern would be moving the luggage from hotel to hotel. I understand and heard of the increasing theft on train, but I wouldn’t want to keep staring at my luggage because I would like to enjoy the moment too. Probably getting a first class train seat as what others have said, as there are more leg space for the luggage. I am thinking would setting Montreux as a base hotel, and travelling to Interlaken, Zermatt and Geneva be a good idea ?

I am very open to other itineraries as well, I read that Golden pass (4 hours) would actually be better than glacier express ( 8 hours long, and probably too long hence no longer fun). I want to spend the best time on mountain, and i think it would be better to be on foot (short hike and some walk) on the mountain would be better than long rides on train.

Annika
    7116 posts
    11 December 2016 at 15:25:32 #857355

Hi BrianBrian,

Of course you can get a base hotel for your 5,5 day trip. Which town would be best, strongly depends on your finalized travel plans. With the alternative itinerary I mentioned in my previous post (Montreux; Golden Pass; Interlaken; Lucerne) you’d rather switch towns and hotels every night or two nights. But if you prefer to have one base town that’s certainly an option. It might be more relaxed overall and yes, it prevents you from carrying your luggage each time. You’ll still be able to visit quite some destinations. Which ones, and how many, really depends on the amount of traveling time you’re comfortable with.

Yes, Montreux as a base town would work. I’d slightly prefer Interlaken for your specific interests I think, as it’s close to a magnificent snow-capped alpine area and still allows you reach Montreux (by Golden Pass), Zermatt and Lucerne, each within a couple of hours. Geneva would be too far off, but you seem to be more interested in nature than in city visits. If you’d rather limit traveling, as you’ve mentioned above, you can also choose to skip some of your destinations and focus on the amazing Jungfrau region near Interlaken instead. You’ll find plenty of scenic mountain rides and (winter) hiking options right around the corner there.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 December 2016 at 15:19:34 #857356

Hi Annika, thanks for the help. There is a change in my schedule now, I have to stay 2 days at Biel for a meeting. I am thinking of this schedule below, do you think it will work out well for me to enjoy the mountain areas and some light shopping ?

I will leave Le Chenit on friday and arrive at interlaken, will make interlaken as my base.

Saturday -> Schilthorn ( check weather)

Sunday – > Jungfraujoch ( check weather)

* However if weather isn’t good for both days to enjoy the mountain trips, what should i do ( I will be there at mid feb)

If not I am thinking possible golden train from Interlaken Ost to Zweisimmen and then back from Zweisimmen to interlaken.. ( heard this route is better than interlaken to lucerne? ) if the weather isn’t good on the weekends.

Are there anything nice to do at Montreux

or maybe I can do some paragliding in interlaken

Monday and tuesday -> I will be at Biel, probably taking the 7am train to reach Biel at 9am. I hope this idea is better than staying at Biel hotel?

Is there anything nice near biel i can do ?

Wednesday – > I am free this day, what should i do and where can I go ?

Thursday -> My flight back home is the afternoon at Zurich, what can I do in a short morning ?

I have checked out the 3 areas near Le Chenit ( namely the lake geneva, Fribourg and neutachel region ) are there any attractive things to do around this 3 areas ?

Annika
    7116 posts
    18 December 2016 at 13:38:13 #857357

Hi BrianBrian,

Please find some answers below. For all day trips, mind to check availability and opening hours. You’ll find links to specific pages and timetables on each of our attraction pages:

• for bad weather alternatives for Jungfraujoch/Schilthorn, please check the Interlaken and Jungfau region pages I linked to before;
    • yes, part of the Golden Pass ride is certainly a good alternative. The page I linked to before provides all details, including a detailed route description of each section. I’d personally prefer Lucerne-Interlaken over Interlaken-Zweisimmen, but opinions may differ of course;
    • please see the Montreux page I linked to in my previous post for day trips ideas;
    • Biel is located quite centrally, so you can easily reach towns you’re interested in. Day trips to Bern orBasel can be well made, as well as visits to the Neuchatel region. The Biel tourism website may be of further assistance;
    • I’m not quite sure where you’ll be staying on Wednesday and Thursday. Day trip tips strongly depend on where you’re located. The timetable and the day trip list I linked to above should help you out. There are lots of options, and what’s best ultimately depends on your personal interests. A short exploration of Zurich may be possible before you depart on Thursday.
    Annika
    7116 posts
    18 December 2016 at 13:45:56 #857358

In addition: this recent trip report by Maggie, who spent some days in Biel/Bienne, is certainly worth reading.

• The thread ‘5 days in Switzerland during winter business trip’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.