5 days, Jungfrau region + Lucerne, rail pass

• MichiMary
    Participant
    17 posts
    6 July 2022 at 2:52:40 #827693

General Plan for September Trip–2 adult seniors–1st trip to Switzerland

Day 1–Early AM arrival (if all goes well!) in Zurich from U.S–train from airport to Wengen–(sleep in Wengen)–if possible explore Wengen or possibly go back to Lauterbrunnen for a few hours

Days 2 & 3–Explore Bernese Oberland (sleep in Wengen)

Activities we would like if possible: 1) travel to Gimmelwald & Murren (Schilthorn??) 2) boat trip from Interlaken to Lake Brienz, stop at Giessbach Waterfalls, boat to Brienz, train back to Interlaken 3) explore Lauterbrunnen and visit waterfalls. Is it possible to do all of this or is it too much or are there suggestions for a better plan?

Day 4–Train from Wengen to Lucerne (Golden Pass from Interlaken to Lucerne–explore Lucerne (sleep Lucerne)

Day 5–Boat and Train from Lucerne to Lugano (most likely regular boats and trains following the route of the Gotthard Panorama Express but not the actual GPE, local transport from Lugano to Bellagio (not sure about exact options) (sleep in Bellagio for the next 4 nights). We have not totally ruled out the actual GPE but leaning toward the regular boats and trains instead.

Trying to determine best option for passes:

1. Swiss Travel Pass for 6 days (even though we will only use 5 day)

2. Swiss travel Pass for 4 days and a Day pass for 1 day

3. Half Fare Card

4. Half Fare Card and Bernese Oberland Pass

Definitely open to other/better options since I am confused!! Thank you!!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2022 at 8:26:11 #943977

Hi MichiMary,

if you cannot decide on the Swiss rail pass, make a cost comparison. You can download the calculation spreadsheet from here: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass.

I think that the Swiss Travel Pass would be a good choice for you. But if you would like to make sure, please use the spreadsheet above. Without any calculations it is difficult to tell for sure. I do not think that number 3 or 4 is the best option as you are going to travel a lot outside of the Jungfrau area as well.

You can read more about these passes here:

Ildiko

MichiMary
    Participant
    17 posts
    6 July 2022 at 12:33:24 #943978

I am trying to figure out the spreadsheet and am familiar with using Excel although it automatically goes into Number since I am an iMac user (Apple products all the way–IMac, iPad, IPhone, Mac Air, Apple Watch!! Haha). Maybe that is causing the problem but when I open the download, it says to start with Steps 1-5 but I only see 3a as the starting point. Also I’m uncertain about just how automated the function of this spread sheet is–what functions are built into the spreadsheet and what do I have to manage myself? I hope these questions make sense…Thank you for. your help!

MichiMary
    Participant
    17 posts
    6 July 2022 at 13:35:14 #943979

Also do not see how to make adjustments–

e.g. spreadsheet shows 8 days for Swiss Travel Pass–can I change that to less days and if so, how?

Arno
    15483 posts
    6 July 2022 at 18:00:49 #943980

Hi MichiMary,

How to work with the spreadsheet is fully explained inside the spreadsheet, but it sounds like you’re perhaps not able to see the whole file. I attached a PDF of it. Which won’t do anything, but at least you can see what the full spreadsheet looks like.

I don’t know how it should work on Apple devices. If you can’t get it to work you can do the calculations manually as explained here: http://www.myswissalps.com/train/ticketspasses/practical/chooserailpass. That’s not that much extra work. The spreadsheet is just available for extra convenience.

MichiMary
    Participant
    17 posts
    6 July 2022 at 18:56:03 #943981

The PDF helped me a lot. Thank you so much for sending that. The 2 documents are very similar but some of the labels for the various steps are missing from the download. Now that I can see what the steps are referring to, I think I can go back and actually use the “full” document.

Quick question–why am I unable to find Murren on the timetable? Is it called something else on the SBB website? e.g. I was trying to price out Wengen to Murren but can’t get it to display.

Ouman_inokc
    Participant
    11 posts
    7 July 2022 at 3:37:58 #943982

Hello I actually had this issue too using my mac i found that you have to spell mürren with the 2 dots above the u. This is done by holding down the option key and the u key at the same time then releasing and then hitting u again. On iPhone using the sbb app you hold down the u key and ü will pop up. Then you have access to find trains involving Mürren.

Crabcooker
    Participant
    6 posts
    7 July 2022 at 22:51:57 #943983

Hi,

Another way is to type in “Muerren” — the “ue” acts as the ü.

MichiMary
    Participant
    17 posts
    8 July 2022 at 2:42:56 #943984

Thank you! I would not have figured that out!

MichiMary
    Participant
    17 posts
    8 July 2022 at 2:43:21 #943985

Thank you! So helpful!

• The thread ‘5 days, Jungfrau region + Lucerne, rail pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.