Rail pass for 5D4N trip including Glacier Express?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 October 2015 at 6:15:41 #808068

Hi, I need help on my first trip to Europe. We are planning to stay at Switzerland for 5D4N. Appreciate please advise Swiss Travel Pass will be good choice for my itinerary? Or any suggestion on my itinerary which can save my cost? Thank you

Day 1: From Paris to Zurich (stop for 3-4hrs for some sightseeing in Zurich). Zurich – Chur. Overnight at Chur

Day 2: Glacier Express from Chur – Zermatt 1126hrs – 1710hrs. Overnight at Zermatt

Day 3: Mountain Excursions. Zermatt – Lurcene. Overnight at Lurcene

Day 4: Lurcene sightseeing Overnight at Lurcene

Day 5: Lurcene – Zurich Airpor ETD 1435hrs

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    28 October 2015 at 9:29:27 #846730

Hi kuankuan,

Welcome to our website! When would this trip be?

A 4-day Swiss Travel Pass is sufficient. On day 5 you can buy a regular ticket. Even a 3-day pass could be sufficient depending on your plans for day 4, but normally a pass would be convenient on that day as it gets you free access to the boats, Mount Rigi and museums.

Please see these pages for additional information:

Note that you only need a ticket from Paris to Basel. From there, the pass covers the trip to Zurich. Please see myswissalps.com/ traintickets/france.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 October 2015 at 12:18:40 #846731

Hi Arno,

Many thanks for your great information.

Our trip at Feb 2016.

Since now the rail ticket have promo Paris to Basel same price going to Zurich HB. So we can stop for fews hours at Zurich HB and start using our swiss pass for some sightseeings then continue our journey to Chur.

On my day 4 will explorer Lucerne with the swiss pass. Do you think should we using the pass going to Zurich airport after 8pm and stay at Ibis hotel Zurich to order save our cost on last day travel from Lucerne to airport? Our flight depart at 2pm.

Thank you

Arno
    15484 posts
    28 October 2015 at 15:46:42 #846732

Hi kuankuan,

Yes, you can absolutely make a stop in Zurich. You don’t need to pre-book trains, so you can hop on any train to Chur with your Swiss Travel Pass.

Moving to Zurich on day 4 will indeed save some money. Shifting hotels always takes some time, so that’s the choice you would have to make. Please see here for hotel suggestions:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 November 2015 at 9:26:54 #846733

Hi Arno,

for the round trip train from Zermatt to Gornergrat the discount price for Swiss Travel Pass at CHF45….do I need to pre book the ticket? Can I buy at the Zermatt Station on the day of travel ? On the return journey to Zermatt can I stop at any station for walk around then continuous back to Zermatt station?

Annika
    7124 posts
    2 November 2015 at 14:19:51 #846734

Hi kuankuan,

No, there’s no need to pre-book the ticket. You can just buy it at Gornergrat rail station (right next to Zermatt’s regular railway station). Such a ticket will be valid all day, so it’s no problem to get out at one of the stations along the line and then continue your journey.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 November 2015 at 4:25:43 #846735

Hi,

Can I select seat number on Glacier Express? I don’t want backwards seats which is not comfortable.

After purchase the Swiss Travel pass I can go ahead to make reservation from Glacier Express website? Is a e-ticket right? many thks for your advice.

Annika
    7124 posts
    6 November 2015 at 7:13:25 #846736

Hi kuankuan,

Unfortunately you can’t select a specific seat. Not that I know of anyway. You can book your pass and your seat through http://www.raileurope-world.com/pass/swiss-travel-pass-82 or http://www.raileurope.com.sg/ pass/swiss-travel-pass-82.

More details are here:

• The thread ‘Rail pass for 5D4N trip including Glacier Express?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.