6N in Bernese Oberland & 2N ZRH – What pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 September 2014 at 7:16:56 #806632

Hi,

I am travelling in a group of 5 (me,hubby, my mum & my 3 year old twin boys) from 16th Mar 2015 – 24th Mar 2015.

My itinerary is as follows;

Arrival in ZRH on 16th Mar & will travel to Grinderwald.

Between 16th Mar – 21st Mar – Will be staying in Grinderwald and explore surrounding areas below;

1) Rhine Falls (no preference on mode of transport)

2) Jungfrau (no preference on mode of transport)

3) Kleine Schdeigg (no preference on mode of transport)

4) Wengen (no preference on mode of transport)

5) Cable car to First then hike to Lake Bachalpsee

6) Cable car to Mannlichen

7) Lauterbrunnen by train

8) Cable car up to Grutschalp

9) Murren

10) Murrenbahn to Schilthornbahn

11) Stechelberg

12) Trummelbach falls

13) Interlaken – Giessbach falls (can take red funicular)

14) Brienz Rothorn Bahn / Lake Brienz.

Between 22nd & 23rd Mar – Will be exploring Zurich and depart on 24th Mar (morning flight)

Please advise if it is cheaper to buy the Bernese Oberland Regional Pass or the Swiss Pass / Flexi Pass as I get very confused. Can I know if the BO regional pass cover the train from Zurich airport to Grinderwald?

Thanks

Cheers,

Denise

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    10 September 2014 at 17:45:01 #841035

Hi Denise,

You can best choose either the 8-day Swiss Saver Pass (16 to 23 March) or the Swiss Card. The Regional Pass is not available for traveling in March, see here. A Swiss Saver Pass is convenient as all transportation is free with the exception of most transport into the mountains such as cable cars (these will be discounted). So you don’t need tickets and can board as you like. The Swiss Card will get you a free ride from Zurich to Grindelwald and back, and 50% discounted tickets for all trips during your stay. A Zurich Card may come in handy as well. Please see the first two links for prices and further details such as maps which show what’s included. And here is explained how to make the best decision.

It’s important to realize that March is the end of Winter. You need to check which attractions are open. The Trümmelbach Falls and Brienzer Rothorn will be closed, for example. And walking to Lake Bachalp is not possible as hiking trails in the high Alps will be covered in snow. Our attraction pages have links to the timetables, and the nation wide timetable will be a good help as well.

The name of the town is Grindelwald by the way, not Grinderwald. That will help if you are looking for trains in the timetable 🙂

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 September 2014 at 22:31:14 #841036

From much experience go with the BO Regional Pass, you won’t regret it.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 September 2014 at 22:49:58 #841037

[quote]Arno said:

Hi Denise,

You can best choose either the 8-day Swiss Saver Pass (16 to 23 March) or the Swiss Card. The Regional Pass is not available for traveling in March, see here. A Swiss Saver Pass is convenient as all transportation is free with the exception of most transport into the mountains such as cable cars (these will be discounted). So you don’t need tickets and can board as you like. The Swiss Card will get you a free ride from Zurich to Grindelwald and back, and 50% discounted tickets for all trips during your stay. A Zurich Card may come in handy as well. Please see the first two links for prices and further details such as maps which show what’s included. And here is explained how to make the best decision.

It’s important to realize that March is the end of Winter. You need to check which attractions are open. The Trümmelbach Falls and Brienzer Rothorn will be closed, for example. And walking to Lake Bachalp is not possible as hiking trails in the high Alps will be covered in snow. Our attraction pages have links to the timetables, and the nation wide timetable will be a good help as well.

The name of the town is Grindelwald by the way, not Grinderwald. That will help if you are looking for trains in the timetable 🙂

[/quote]thanks Arno. I shall check it out again. Too many options till I get all confused haha

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 September 2014 at 22:51:42 #841038

World Travel,

Apparently the BO pass is not usable in Winter. Am coming in the month of Mar lol! Sigh

thanks

• The thread ‘6N in Bernese Oberland & 2N ZRH – What pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.