7-day itinerary Lauterbrunnen/Lucerne in September

• manshas
    Participant
    13 posts
    19 May 2017 at 15:29:59 #811889

Hello myswissalps moderators, thank you for putting up an excellent website. I have had fun going through it for almost a week! It has been really helpful in planning our 7 day trip to Switzerland in early September with my daughter. I have come up with a draft itinerary. I would appreciate it very much if you could review it and suggest if any modifications need to be done.

• Day 1: Arrive Zurich @ 8:15AM. Train to Lauterbrunnen via Lucerne/Interlaken Ost. Arrive Lauterbrunnen. Walk around the valley. Staubbach Falls. Go up to Murren. Stay in Lauterbrunnen 3 nights.
    • Day 2: Schilthorn. Grindelwald.
    • Day 3: Lake Brienz Cruise. Visit Ballenberg Open-air Museum.
    • Day 4: Check out from Lauterbrunnen hotel. Train to Bern. Spend half a day in Bern. Train from Bern to Lucerne. Stay for 3 nights.
    • Day 5: Mount Rigi. Cruise to Fluelen.
    • Day 6: Lion Monument. Chapel Bridge. Museggmauer. Old Town Lucerne. Shopping for souvenirs and chocolates!
    • Day 7: Depart Lucerne for 11AM flight from Zurich.

My queries are:

1. Is my itinerary doable?
    2. Since, hopefully we would have been to Schilthorn, should I add Titlis to Day 6?
    3. Swiss train passes – you must have been asked this umpteen times! I am thinking of getting the Swiss Half Fare Card for us – based on my itinerary, would you recommend this?

Thank you everyone for taking the time to go through this.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15484 posts
    20 May 2017 at 12:07:50 #863586

I’m glad to hear you like our website Manshas. Thanks for joining us! I’ll try to answer your questions:

1. You’ve prepared well. Your itinerary is certainly doable. For day 2 I’d recommend to take a nice scenic round trip to Grindelwald as Grindelwald itself is not really a place for sightseeing. My suggestion would be to take the route Lauterbrunnen – Wengen – Männlichen – Grindelwald Grund – Grindelwald – Kleine Scheidegg – Lauterbrunnen.
    2. Perhaps rather add Rigi or Pilatus, but Titlis is very nice too. The links provide more details so you can make a choice.
    3. Yes, you are indeed not the first to ask, but that’s why we’re here 😉 I would prefer the 8-day Swiss Travel Pass myself for ease of use. It might also be cheaper but you would have to do the math and compare it to the Swiss Half Fare Card in detail. Please see the links and make sure you carefully read the pass pages and download their coverage maps. The Swiss Travel Pass includes Rigi and Pilatus for free, as well as the open air museum and boat trips like the one on Lake Brienz.

Just let us know if any questions remain!

manshas
    Participant
    13 posts
    24 May 2017 at 2:16:39 #863587

Hi Arno, thank you so much for going through my itinerary. Sorry for my late reply as I had taken a hiatus from planning!! I will get back to you shortly with more questions and to seek your advice and suggestions.

• The thread ‘7-day itinerary Lauterbrunnen/Lucerne in September’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.