7 days Lucerne, Zermatt, Montreux in winter

• socketplug
    Participant
    2 posts
    30 June 2022 at 3:55:27 #827649

Hi! Planning a short trip to Switzerland before heading down to Italy. I am a 20 year old travelling with my parents in their early 50s and this is our first trip to Switzerland.

We are hoping to get a taste of Switzerland in the winter. We really appreciate a good scenery, but we are non skiiers

Day 1: Lucerne

Day 2: Lucerne

Day 3: Lucerne/Zermatt

Day 4: Zermatt

Day 5: Zermatt/Montreux

Day 6: Montreux

Day 7: Montreux/Travel to italy

Lucerne:

Explore old town, chapel bridge

Trip to mount Rigi

Zermatt:

See the matterhorn (not sure if it is worth to go up the matterhorn as we don’t ski)

Explore old village (Saw some pictures of Zermatt in Winter and it was absolutely gorgeous)

Montreux:

Chateau de Chillon

Montreux christmas market

Gruyeres day trip (chocolate and cheese factory)

Vineyards

Explore Vevey old town

Some questions:

1. Itinerary

– Thoughts on choice of locations? Initially included interlaken/lauterbrunnen but saw some travellers stating that there’s nothing much to do/ low fog etc. Considered St. moritz via glacier express as well. Is st. moritz very special? Or worth a miss

– Let me know if there are any other locations worth the visit (parents are not very adventurous so long hours of hiking/adrenaline related activities out of the question, would like to see some different scenery as well, not just completely white with snow )

– Should we change to 1n only in zermatt? since we don’t ski

2. Accommodation (hopefully 100-120Chf/night)

– Would like some advice for budget options (parents do not want hostel/shared bathroom)

– I understand that Switzerland is an expensive location , and will be considering airbnb or cheapest hotels, but are there any nearby locations (with perhaps nice scenery) that can perhaps save some cost? yet not too inconvenient as well. Montreux seems to be filled with super expensive hotels too

3. Transport

– Was wondering which swiss pass card will be best for us? Was considering getting the Swiss half fare card

• The thread ‘7 days Lucerne, Zermatt, Montreux in winter’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.