7 nights and days in Switzerland

• sugarp1um
    Participant
    27 posts
    19 February 2012 at 9:13:30 #804928

Hi everyone,

Need some help from your guys who are the experts.
    We are planning to visit a friend who is staying in Basel in July and in between we will go to Wengen on 2 nights and travel out from Basel to other parts like Luzern, Zurich, Bern and even Frieburg.
    Not sure if we should buy a swiss train pass and if so, which one?

Our itinerary is such:
    Day 1: Arrive in Basel. Sightseeing in Basel.
    Day 2: Basel to Wengen. Visit Jungfrau.
    Day 3: Wengen to Trümmelbachfalle, Murren back to Wengen.
    Day 4: Wengen to Luzern. Visit Pilatus. Travel back to Basel.
    Day 5: Basel to Zurich visit Zurich. Back to Basel.
    Day 6: Basel to Frieburg and back to Basel.
    Day 7: Basel to Bern, Fribour and Gruyere. Back to Basel.
    Day 8: Basel to Zurich Airport and depart back home.

If I am not wrong, the pass only allows 15% discount from Wengen to Jungrau.
    This is the same for the trip to Pilatus from Luzern.

Also if we were to use the Swiss transfer card, from Basel to Wengen do they allow the travel on the next day after arrival?
    And for Fribour, we are going to the Chocolate factory and Gruyere. Is it wise to use the public transport or to drive from Bern?

Is really a little confusing so appreciate if someone can enlighten us on this.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7121 posts
    21 February 2012 at 11:13:10 #834893

Hello sugarplum! You seem to already have made some calculations (referring to your previous post), so yes: a rail pass is definitely economical in your case. I think you should consider either a Swiss Saver Flexi Pass (with free travel days for your longest trips, being day 2, 6, 7, and 8 and discounts on the remaining days) or a Swiss Half Fare Card. The Swiss Transfer Ticket will only cover Basel-Wengen (day 2) and Basel-Zurich Airport (day 8), and no further trips. So that wouldn’t be a good choice. You’ll find links to overview maps at the pages I referred to. These maps allow you to see which discounts or free routes are offered. (As for the Jungfraujoch: a 25% discount applies with a Swiss Flexi Pass and 50% with a Swiss Half Fare Card.)

I think you should use public transportation as much as possible in Switzerland. Generally it’s clean, reliable and a great relaxed way of traveling, allowing you to enjoy the scenery. Please refer to the timetable and the Chocolate Train website for detailed trip planning.

sugarp1um
    Participant
    27 posts
    21 February 2012 at 11:37:03 #834894

Hello

Just wondering how abt the 4 or 8 days consecutive Swiss pass? The price is cheaper than flexi but is it not suitable for my itinerary if I were to get the 8 days Swiss pass?

Thanks for all your tips.

Annika
    7121 posts
    21 February 2012 at 12:13:31 #834895

Hello sugarplum. The 4 day Swiss Saver Pass isn’t a good option, as the travel days have to be used consecutively. That means that 4 days during the first and/or the last part of your stay won’t be covered.

The 8 day Swiss Saver Pass is an option. It’s more expensive than a 4 day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass though. The difference is that you can travel for free on all days with your 8 day Swiss Saver Pass, and that there are some days with discounts (instead of free traveling) with a 4 day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass. Since you have planned a number of days with shorter local trips, I think the 4 day Swiss Saver Flexi Pass may turn out to be a bit cheaper over all. But if free traveling on all days on all days is important to you, the 8 day Swiss Saver Pass is the ideal solution.

sugarp1um
    Participant
    27 posts
    21 February 2012 at 22:55:54 #834896

Arno

Thanks for your advice
    Was considering between the 4 day saver flexi pass or 8 day saver pass.
    The two looks almost the same after some calculation.
    Will probably get the 8 day saver pass since it gives me the flexibility for all 8 days.
    and I wont be stress over where to go on that 4 days to maximise the pass.

sugarp1um
    Participant
    27 posts
    22 February 2012 at 0:32:42 #834897

Hello

Just to confirm.
    Can I saw is the same for Swiss Saver and Swiss Saver Flexi that both only enjoy 25% discount for trip from Wengen to Jungfraujoch?
    How about to Mt. Titlis, Mt. Pilatus from Luzern?
    Is the same discount rate applicable?

Annika
    7121 posts
    23 February 2012 at 9:53:56 #834898

Hello sugarplum! Yes, these passes offer a 25% discount for that leg of the Jungfraujoch. To most other mountain transportation (including Titlis and Pilatus) a 50% discount applies. The validity map we link to from each of the pass pages shows further details.

• The thread ‘7 nights and days in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.