8 day Switzerland trip with toddler- rail pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2018 at 6:02:36 #814315

Hi,

I will be traveling to Switzerland from Rome in end of may this year. Plan to take Bernina express from Tirano to St. Moritz and spend a night there before moving to Lucerne and spend 3 nights there. On day 5 plan to move to Wengen for spending 3 nights there before wrapping the trip with 1 night stay in Zurich.

Will it be helpful taking the Eurail pass for 2 country as I will be Italy for 6 nights and plan to travel by train to Milan-Venice-Milan-Rome-Florence-Pisa-Rome-Milan-Tirano.

Kindly advice does this looks ok keeping in mind that i’m Traveling with my child. Any addition/deletion is more than welcome.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2018 at 9:52:57 #876024

Hi Pankaj and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Yes, with a good amount of rail travel in Italy as well I would guess a Eurail Select Pass for the two countries is best. You can see what routes are covered by the pass here. It won’t cover all your excursions in Switzerland but can often gives discounts if it doesn’t fully cover it.

You could also look at just an Italian rail pass + the Swiss Travel Pass for Switzerland only (to give you better discounts here).

Either way you’ll also need to make reservations on the Bernina Express train.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 February 2018 at 7:27:43 #876025

Thanks Lucas for the reply it was helpful. My current itinerary looks like this;

After spending 6 nights in Italy:

Day 1: Travel from Rome to St. Mortiz (From Tirano take Bernina). Checkin and day sight seeing in St mortiz. Overnight in St Mortiz

Day 2: Check out and take the Glacier Express to Brig and then move to Wengen. Spend 4 nights in Wengen (Kindly inform on the route, is this ok or to much time taking)

Day 3 to 5: Explore Wengen and nearby area

Day 6 & 7: Move to Lucerne and explore

Day 8: Move to Zürich (See Rhine falls etc.) and way back home.

Please inform is this doable.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 February 2018 at 7:44:07 #876026

Hi Pankaj,

The itinerary looks fine. You can use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out your day to day trips by train, cable car, boat etc.

Day 2 is pretty long. St. Moritz to Brig (via Glacier Express) is 6.5 hours then another 2 hours to Wengen. Doable if you want though and of course the Glacier Express trip is quite nice.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 February 2018 at 7:54:52 #876027

Hi Lucas,

Yeah i agree Day 2 will be quiet long. Previously i was of the view of taking the Glacier express from St Moritz to andermatt and then change to Andermatt to Goschenen and proceed towards Lucerne first for 2 nights before checking in to Wengen for 4 nights. But still it will be quite long train trip. Can you please suggest a better idea.

Thanks..

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 February 2018 at 14:48:01 #876028

Yeah, there isn’t really an easy way between St. Moritz and Wengen…too many mountains here. 🙂
    About 6 hours is the absolute quickest route via Zurich and Bern – the timetable gives you the quickest route by default.

Going on part of the Glacier Express will be more scenic though – time vs scenery.

I’d go either Brig to Wengen as first thought or go on to Zermatt for a night and then up to Wengen via Brig.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 February 2018 at 7:42:42 #876029

Hi Lucas,

Yeah you’re right. I’ve changed my plans and now i’ll be staying for 1 night in Zermatt before moving to Wengen. Require your guidance on selecting the right pass as i’m having a confusion with relation to how the counts are made in say STP Flex pass, is it only related to the day when i travel by train or it does counts travel by boats, funicular etc. If that’s the case then will it better to purchase STP flex rather than STP as i don’t intend to travel by train on all of my 8 day trip.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 February 2018 at 8:39:56 #876030

The Swiss Travel Pass Flex gives the same benefits as the Swiss Travel Pass. So most trains are free, as are boats, buses and some mountain gondolas (both passes offer the same discounts).

With the STP Flex you write in the dates you want to use the pass on – on other dates the pass offers no benefits. You can compare passes and do the math to see which is best for you here. But if you are using some transport on each day you are in Switzerland the Swiss Travel Pass is usually the better bet economically.

• The thread ‘8 day Switzerland trip with toddler- rail pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.