8-day trip to Switzerland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 July 2011 at 9:52:34 #804499

Hello
    I have been planning for this trip since 6 moths ago, but only discover your website just only today! Your website is fantastic as it gives useful information for those planning to visit Swizerland. Your forum page is very interesting and offers useful tips to people like me. Kudos to you!

I will be travelling to Switzerland arriving at Zurich Airport on 22 Sept 2011 and will depart from Bern for Paris on 30 Sept. I’m travelling with 3 other companions (56 to 62 years old). The trip is the 1st for the four of us and we are looking forward to discover the beauty of the land, immerse with the weather and the culture of the Swiss. For these reasons, I have chosen 2 base cities, namely, Interlaken (5 days) and Bern (3 days) to move about in Siwtzerland. This will also save us from having to hop from one hotel to another and get to see more of Switzerland.
    My itinerary wil be:
    a. Base city : Interlaken
    23/9: Interlaken-Zermatt-The Matterhorn-Interlaken
    24/9: Interlaken-Lucern-Mt Pillatus-Interlaken
    25/9: Interlaken -Mt Schilthorn & Trümmelbach Waterfalls-Interlaken
    26/9: Interlaken-Jungfraujoch-Interlaken
    In between these, we plan to walk around Interlaken
    b. Base city : Bern
    27/9: Walking trip around Bern
    28/9: Bern-Montreaux-Bern
    29/9: Bern-Zurich-Bern ; shd it be Bern-Geneva-Bern
    Your Advise:
    1. I’m planning to buy the 8-day Swiss Saver Plus to enjoy the various modes of Swiss transportation system & give me a seamless trips to & fro the base city as well as to the mountains (with some discounts). However, I’m confused, if this is the best choice or would the Swiss Card be better. Also, can the Swiss Pass be used to travel on the special trains such as the Glacier Express, Golden Pass Scenic train, etc.- will there be an additional charge to hop onto these trains if I hold the Swiss Pass?
    2. Is the itinerary above doable for us to cover almost all the important places in Switzerland? Can we fit in visiting some of the important musuems (to make full use of the pass) – if yes, would appreciate if you could recommend us these museums.
    3. Your website recommends Trainticket.com – is this website reliable? I was prompted with a message that this website is not a trusted webiste. However, it offers the best price for the Swiss Saver Pass.

Would appreciate your earliest response as I’m about to buy the Swiss Saver Pass. Tks much!

Regards

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    21 July 2011 at 4:52:01 #833525

Hi noryati,

Thanks a lot for your compliments and welcome to our website! Let’s take a look at your questions:

1. The 8-day Swiss Saver Pass is indeed the best choice, assuming that you’ll use it from 22/9 to 29/9. It is valid for any train on the railway lines that are displayed on the network map we link to from the Swiss Pass page. Some panoramic trains require you to buy an additional seat reservation. 99% of the trains does not require a reservation so you can just hop on with your pass.
    2. Your itinerary looks good and is certainly doable. It does not cover “all” important places, but that’s not a realistic goal for 9 days. Your itinerary allows you to see many beautiful places. Hopefully you like it so much you’ll come back for more one day. Geneva and Zurich both offer enough for a 1-day city trip. I know Zurich better and it’s full of nice places to visit, as you can see in various forum topics like this one. By the way, you may want to consider visiting Zurich on 22/9, as you’re already there. It saves you an additional return trip from Bern and may leave time to do something else at the end of your stay.
    3. Yes, Trainticket.com is definitely reliable. It’s a new website so relatively unknown. You can be assured that we don’t include resellers we do not trust. You can view more details about them if you click “Show more information” on any of our pages where they are listed. I don’t know about the warning message. I just checked and did not see it. It may be a temporary issue, or depending on which browser or even search engine you use. If you see it again and have more details I’ll be glad to look into it.

Did this answer your questions?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 July 2011 at 8:41:36 #833526

Hi Arno
    Thks much for the prompt response and the advise given. Appreciate it very much!

Am excited about this trip and hope for a smooth sailing experience …..

Warmest regards
    Noryati

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 July 2011 at 9:17:57 #833527

hello please help me

I am travelling to Italy -switzerland for 12 days from 29 july -to 9 august 2011

Capri-29 july -1 august
    Vneice-1 – 4
    Interlaken -4 -6
    Lucerm-6-8

I am in switzerland f0r 5 days

Kindly help me with the following details

1.is there any train offer i can get to cover tickets fro

naples-venice

venice -interlaken

especially the venice interlaken route-which via milan sbb is proving very expensive.
    i want more affordabel train journeys

2.whch would be the best swiss pass for me to avail keeping in mind my desire to travel to
    Jungfrau
    Mount Titlis
    and any other suggested areas by you to view the beauty of the place

where can i get the best offers for the Swiss pass which im finding very expensive.
    (even the 05/1motnh option on ticket train.com is steep.

3.i would appreciate any places to visit in switzerland , which you would recommend

please help and many thanks
    ridbuddy

Arno
    15483 posts
    21 July 2011 at 10:12:16 #833528

Hi ridbuddy,

Welcome to our website! If you’re looking for the lowest price you should consider the Swiss Half Fare Card or Swiss Card, plus make sure that you limit your traveling from Interlaken and Lucerne to save on tickets. There are plenty of day trips and hikes you can do in the immediate surroundings of Interlaken. The Jungfrau and Titlis are the most expensive trips in those regions, but there are cheaper alternatives: for Interlaken: check the links I just provided, for Lucerne: consider the Pilatus which is closer to the town.

I don’t know about Italian tickets, but the Swiss portion of your inbound trip is reduced or even free with the passes I suggested.

As for the prices: on any of our pass pages, we compare several resellers. So it’s easy for you to see where you get the best deal. On top of that, you may qualify for this extra discount. In general, buying online is often cheaper than in Switzerland, but local prices are listed as well so you can check for yourself.

We have an overview of more money saving tips you may like.

Does this help?

• The thread ‘8-day trip to Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.