8-days based in Basel – best rail pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2018 at 12:22:43 #816159

Dear Swiss Alps,

I will be arriving in BSL on May 26 and leaving on June 2. I will be staying with a friend in Basel for 8 days. Below are my planned destinations, in no particular order. I would appreciate your help to arrange the destinations from Day 1 to Day 8 so that i can get the lowest transport costs. Im not sure which ones will be good to take Swiss Travel Pass for and which ones are better with Point to point tickets only.

1. BSL airport to Basel city

2. Day trip to Mt Titlis

3. Day trip to Colmar, France

4. Day trip to Zermatt

5. 1-2 days of Museum and park visiting and sightseeing in and around Basel

6. Visit any football stadium. My companion is a football fanatic.

7. Is there time left to visit a nearby city of Switzerland for a day trip? I like parks and also outlet shopping. Is there an outlet near Basel?

8. Basel to BSL airport

Thank you so much for your help.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 May 2018 at 15:46:36 #886026

Hi Joy and welcome to MySwissAlps!

An 8 day Swiss Travel Pass is the simplest option, but won’t be any help on #3 and # 5 probably isn’t worth using a day on a Swiss Travel Pass. So while it might not be the cheapest it will be the simplest/easiest option.

A Swiss Half Fare Card might be a good bet. 50% off every ticket you buy within cities and between cities and mountains.

To know (for sure) which pass is the best for your specific itinerary you need to plan out all trips you will make (train, bus, boat, cable car) and compare the prices for regular tickets to the rail pass price (and which routes/mountains are free or discounted). Once you have that information you can read our page here on how to choose the best rail pass. There is a spreadsheet there to help with the math. 🙂

Here is a website for outlet malls in Switzerland.
    A good stadium to visit in Basel and the FIFA museum and headquarters is in Zurich.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 May 2018 at 2:29:41 #886027

Thanks Lucas.

Since #3 and #5 wont work with a Swiss Rail Pass, im thinking of getting a 3- or 4-day Swiss Rail Pass and do #4,6,7, and outlet shopping on consecutive days.

Then just do point to point tickets for #3, 5 and the trips to and from BSL airport (#1 and 8).

Do i need to buy the Swiss Rail Pass before i arrive at Switzerland? Or can i buy it after arrival? Im planning to use the pass on my 3rd to 6th day of vacation.

Warm regards

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    23 May 2018 at 6:38:50 #886028

#3 won’t work with a Swiss Travel Pass. #5 it is just overkill to use it for being in Basel.

Yes, I’d arrange your itinerary to do 2,4,6 and 7 over consecutive days and use a Swiss Travel Pass 4 day.

Yes, you can buy one at Basel train station but it is easier to buy it online: https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ price that way you have a back up to print again in case you lose it (and no waiting in line at the rail office).

• The thread ‘8-days based in Basel – best rail pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.