8 days Interlaken/Lucerne July: which pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2012 at 7:30:55 #805228

For the itinerary below it looks like an 8-day swiss pass is way more than the sum of the individual tickets. Am i missing something here? 2 for 1 deal is not available in July and that makes the pass option more expensive. When I randomly looked up the local tickets many of them were at most 10 CHF or so. Unless it is a big hassle buying individual tickets or the boat/cablecar/museum freebies on the pass amount to 200 CHF per person it appears as if I am losing out buying the 8 day pass. please advise.

day 1 — zurich airport to interlaken
    days 2 to 4 — interlaken-based sightseeing (including Jungfraujoch, day excursions to Thun and so on)
    day 4 — interlaken to lucerne
    days 4-6 — lucerne-based sightseeing (pilatus as well as lucerne-specific sights)
    day 6 — lucerne to zurich
    days 6-7 — zurich-based sight-seeing including a trip to rhine waterfalls)
    day 8 — leave from Zurich airport

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Wandermann
    Participant
    265 posts
    10 May 2012 at 10:11:18 #835974

Hello Karjan,

Generally speaking it’s always profitable to purchase one of the many Swiss rail passes. Are you sure you got the right prices for individual tickets? I ask this because the Swiss Timetable shows half fare prices by default!

Annika
    7124 posts
    11 May 2012 at 5:40:16 #835975

Hi karjan. Wandermann is right, a rail pass will definitely save you money, and you have to be aware of the prices displayed in the timetable. Most trips you listed cost more than about CHF 10. I think you should look into the Swiss Half Fare Card, providing a 50% discount on all trips, or the Swiss Saver Flexi Pass, allowing you to travel for free on some days and travel with reduction on other days. Please note that many offers are available for traveling in July too, apart from the 2 for 1 offer, such as these summer sales.

• The thread ‘8 days Interlaken/Lucerne July: which pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.