9 nights in Switzerland with a Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2017 at 2:47:59 #811050

Hello

we are group of 11 persons ( 6 adults, 3 youths, 2 children ) traveling reaching basel from paris by tgv lyria on 30th may 2017 at about 10.30 am

on same date we would catch a train from basel to lucerne and will stay for 4 nights in lucerne ( from 30/05/2017 to 03/06/2017). kindly suggest best itinerary for 4 days in lucerne. planning to visit titlis, pilatus, jungfrau, adeventure sports in interlaken, visit to bern

planning to get swiss travel pass for 8 days starting 31/05/17 till 07/06/2017

planned to reach lugano 0n 03/06/17 after check out from lucerne. A day and night in lugano. kindly suggest places to be seen in lugano and whats the ideal time we should reach lugano on 03/06/17.

04/06/17 to board bernina express from lugano to st. moritz in morning after breakfast. Overnight stay at st. moritz. Suggest places in st moritz which can be seen after reaching st moritz and going to bed

05/06/17 to board glacier express from st moritz to zermatt. Is it advisable and cheaper to pre book meals on glacier express as it is a long journey, whether we are allowed to eat food which we wre already carrying with us. Overnight in zermatt.

06/06/17 visit to matterhorn. Overnight in zermatt

07/06/17 travel to zurich by swiss pass, visit rhine falls. overnight at zurich airport hotel

08/06/17 take at flight back home from zurich at 11 am

what your suggestions for my itinerary

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2017 at 8:33:26 #860006

Hi rajikadinesh and welcome to MySwissAlps!

We don’t build specific itineraries here, and you seem to have mostly made one already! 🙂

I think 4 days is a good amount of time to visit your noted attractions above from Luzern (local German spelling). See our pages on Mt. Titlis, Mt. Pilatus, Jungfraujoch, activities in Interlaken and Bern for more information on the areas and how to get there. These are all great ideas to spend your time in this area and there are more listed on our pages.

I haven’t been to Lugano so I don’t have specific information there – check out the tourism website here for ideas of what to do.

Please have a look at our information page on St. Moritz for more details of what you can see and do there.

There is a restaurant car on the Glacier Express and they will come by and take orders for you to eat at your seat. I took this train in 1st class and had food at our seats that were pre-booked and very good. You don’t have to pre-book the meal but I would recommend it. They offer a la carte, and a 3 course meal as well as a dish of the day for you to choose from.
    You can also bring your own food on board if you choose.

I think in the end your itinerary looks quite good! I hope my information was helpful – let me know if you have further questions!

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2017 at 10:51:02 #860007

thanks for your reply and guidance

it would be of great help if you suggest us how to manage 4 days in lucerne and go to near by excursions

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2017 at 17:30:32 #860008

Hi Rajikadinesh,

Unfortunately, like I mentioned before, we don’t build itineraries here. If you need help with that have a read here.

My best suggestion for Luzern would be to do one excursion per day with your group. So, if you decide you want to go to Mt. Pilatus I would first check the weather that day and if it is nice take a train there. You can find details on how to get there here.

All our information pages on attractions and excursions show you how you can get there from the nearest town.

Also, you can use the Swiss Railways timetable to find the trains that will take you from one town to another town (or mountain attraction).
    For example, enter the date you want to travel, Lucerne in the FROM box and Pilatus Kulm in the TO box and then the time you want to go.

The website will show you when the trains leave and how long they take to get there (and if there are any train changes on your trip).

Best regards,
    Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 March 2017 at 22:03:38 #860009

Hi there

We travelled on the Glacier Express last summer and decided after discussion not to pre-order a meal, partly because we didn’t want to have a large meal, preferring something lighter. We asked the waiter for a menu and Mike ordered a special local salad and I had a portion of apfelstrudel with vanilla sauce – both were absolutely delicious! A couple near us had taken their own food on board with them so as Lucas says, all options are possible.

From Lugano to St. Moritz are you referring to the postbus? I believe there is only one bus per day which leaves around lunchtime. Use the timetable to check. You won’t have time to do very much in St. Moritz if you arrive in the evening/late afternoon and are taking Glacier Express next morning. Most of the cable cars and gondolas close down by then. There is a very pleasant walk all around the lake you could do in the evening if your hotel is not too far from the lake.

Enjoy your holiday

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2017 at 5:06:54 #860010

thanks for your opinion

do we require to take reservation for glacier express in advance or we can get it 2 weeks before we plan to travel

we are planning to board glacier express on 05/06/17 from st moritz

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2017 at 5:10:07 #860011

if we plan to visit pilatus, whether boat ride from lucerne to Alpnachstad is free with swiss travel pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 March 2017 at 13:56:12 #860012

Hi Rajikadinesh,

There may be seats available 2 weeks before your trip but I think you better make the reservations as soon as possible as they are very busy.

For Mt. Pilatus, yes, the boat ride is included on the Swiss Travel Pass. You can read about everything that is included on the STP here.

Cheers,
    Lucas

• The thread ‘9 nights in Switzerland with a Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.