Assistance with day trip itinerary Wengen to Thun

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
autumnz
autumnz
79 posts
Dec 19, 2017 - 1:17 PM

I want to plan a day trip from wengen to thun and local area. Thinking of taking boat trip with stops at castles and the caves. Stop in thun and walk around then train back? Can you help fill in details, offer suggestions for a day in that area?

Also, we were thinking of taking a separate day trip to brienze....is this recommended or after thun should we do something else?

We are in Wengen For 6 Days and are planning day trips to see waterfalls, bern, mt. Schillthon, explore mountain trails near Wengen, Lake Thun, and possibly Brienze or go somewhere else....

Last modified on Dec 19, 2017 - 1:17 PM by autumnz
Chantal
Chantal
944 posts
top member
Dec 19, 2017 - 6:16 PM in reply to autumnz

Hi autumnz,

Please have a look at the below links which might help you to fill in the details:

I personally would not do a separate day trip to Brienz. You could combine the two on one day. Have a look as this thread: www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/lake-thun-or-lake-brienz and see what other forum visitors say.

Have you considered visiting Jungfraujoch? That could be an option for a day trip. When you click here and scroll down, you'll find hiking suggestions that might be of your interest as well.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
5163 posts
expert
Dec 20, 2017 - 2:54 PM in reply to autumnz

In addition to the helpful post from Chantal, check this map to get a sense of how close things are to each other:

map.search.ch/Wengen?pos=641936,167920&z=16

Zoom in to see the rail lines.

You did not specify your dates, which canmake a tremendous difference with the seasons in the alpine areas.

If it will be summer, consider the Brienzer Rothorn Bahn, in addition to all the scenic railways/cableways near Wengen:

www.myswissalps.com/br ienzerrothorn

brienz-rothorn-bahn.ch/?lang=en

Slowpoke

autumnz
autumnz
79 posts
Dec 20, 2017 - 3:20 PM

Yes, we'll be there late July.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
5163 posts
expert
Dec 20, 2017 - 4:29 PM in reply to autumnz

Great-

That saves explaining how there is a whole lot of snow on the trails in June, due to the colder weather high altitude. ;-)

I just found you earlier posts.... should have remembered them. ;-(

Especially the one that a few of us hijacked.

Slowpoke

Last modified on Dec 20, 2017 - 4:31 PM by Slowpoke
autumnz
autumnz
79 posts
Dec 21, 2017 - 2:58 AM

I am trying to get an idea of how to travel/organize our day from wengen to visit thun area. I am thinking train to thun, explore area and castle. Or train to spiez, then on to Thun? After Thun, then train or boat (?) To oberhofen castle(?) Then boat to the caves. Finally boat or train back to get back to wengen.

Other suggestions also appreciated!

Chantal
Chantal
944 posts
top member
Dec 21, 2017 - 7:57 AM in reply to autumnz

Hi autumnz,

You could take the train to Thun, take the boat to the Oberhofen Castle and the St. Beatus Caves. Get off the boat in Interlaken West and then take the boat from Interlaken Ost to Brienz. From Brienz there's a train back to Wengen.

More information about a boat trip on Lake Brienz can be find here: www.myswissalps.com/bo atlakebrienz

autumnz
autumnz
79 posts
Dec 21, 2017 - 12:04 PM in reply to Chantal

Should I skip Spiez? Or do this before thun?

Chantal
Chantal
944 posts
top member
Dec 21, 2017 - 4:42 PM in reply to autumnz

Sorry autumnz, you were asking about Spiez and for some reason I read Brienz. You don't have to skip Spiez. In July the days are long, so from sun rise till sunset you can enjoy the lakes. You either do it on you way to Thun, or you get off the boat because the boat stops at Spiez as well.

Last modified on Dec 21, 2017 - 4:42 PM by Chantal
autumnz
autumnz
79 posts
Dec 21, 2017 - 4:54 PM in reply to Chantal

Thank you,

I didn't know if the boat crosses the lake to get to the caves on the other side.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
5163 posts
expert
Dec 21, 2017 - 5:23 PM in reply to autumnz

Hi Autumnz-

<<"I didn't know if the boat crosses the lake to get to the caves on the other side.">>

The SBB timetable can usually answer such questions:

www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

However, sometimes it is more informative to look at the website for the local transport companies, such as this link, which may help:

www.bls.ch/en/fahren/u nterwegs-mit/schiff/fahrplan

specifically:

www.bls.ch/-/media/bls/pdf/fahrpla ene/schiff/uebersichts karte-thunersee-winter.pdf?la=en&vs=1

Slowpoke

Last modified on Dec 21, 2017 - 5:26 PM by Slowpoke
Removed user
Removed user
0 posts
Dec 22, 2017 - 1:16 AM in reply to autumnz

>> We are in Wengen For 6 Days and are planning day trips ... we'll be there late July.

You might want to consider a scenic trip by PostBus over the Grosse Scheidegg. I have written a trip report about it, which you can read here if interested:

www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/trip-report-over-the-grosse-scheidegg-by-bus

Are you going up to Schynige Platte? What about the Brienzer Rothorn? Both of those would make wonderful day or half-day trips.

www.myswissalps.com/sc hynigeplatte

www.myswissalps.com/br ienzerrothorn

Alpenrose

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018