Base town Lucerne or staying at multiple towns?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 January 2020 at 9:43:37 #824834

hi. should i choose lucerne as my base town or stay 2 nights in lucerne and 2 nights in wengen? im planning to stay 2 nights in lucerne and 2 nights in wengen but my mum prefers if we stay in lucerne and travel to other places. this is to avoid dragging our bags everywhere.

thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Zyla
    Participant
    23 posts
    9 January 2020 at 17:49:01 #927694

We just returned from an 8 day tour of Switzerland before going to Italy! I would suggest that you buy the Swiss travel pass! It is well worth the money! Purchase it on line before you go so that you can use it from the Zurich airport to Lucerne! We based in Lucerne for 2 nights and used the pass for buses and the river cruise to Mt Rigi from Vitznau! Everything connects! You don’t have to buy tickets! We then took the morning train using the STP to Interlaken Ost , checked into the Hotel St Georges and then went to Bern using the train pass for the afternoon! Stay at this hotel it is close to the station , has a great free breakfast buffet and is clean! The next morning, we took the train from Interlaken to a Lauterbrunnen and then a bus to Mürren where we got the cable car to Mt Schilthorn! We had lunch in Mürren and the went back to Lauterbtunnen and took the train to Wengen and then bought tickets for the train to Kleine Scheidegg and the Jungfrau! The mountain excursion cost extra but, there is a discount for having the STP! We returned to Interlaken Ost by way of Grindelwald from Kleine Schiedegg with our STP! The next morning we left on the Golden Pass route to Montreux and Zermatt! It is too far to go from Lucerne to Wengen and back in one day! It is about 3 to 4 hours each way! Wengen is beautiful! Pack light! I hope that this helps!

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 January 2020 at 19:15:14 #927695

Hi fanabanana –

Packing and unpacking is a nuisance. So is hauling luggage. However, a bit of effort to plan and organize that before you leave home can , perhaps, make that somewhat easier.

Basically, you have to trade off one nuisance versus the other. The other nuisance is large amouns of wasted time…time that you paid a lot to get when you chose to come to Switzerland. Each day that you spend going back and forth to Wengen, you’ll consume 2 hrs and 43 minutes each way on the trip.

http://www.myswissalps.com/timetable

Its a nice train ride if you do it once. 3 or4 times in close succession gets a bit boring. When I am in Switzerland, my time is precious, and I don’t like to waste it in that fashion. It consumes a lot of time that you could spend doing some other serious sightseeing.

( I was going to use a few exclamation marks here, but Zyla used them all up before I could. 😉

You could consider using the luggage transport services of the SBB to send luggage ahead.

There are various services, including station to station the day after tomorrow…cheapest…send some stuff ahead the day that you arrive in Luzern. There is also delivery to your hotel…more expensive.

http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/services/luggage.html

Slowpoke

PS – When are you traveling?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 January 2020 at 23:38:48 #927696

i’ll be travelling on 1/3/2020 till 6/3/2020.

initial plan was on 1/3 – 3/3 stay in lucerne, then on 3/3-5/3 stay in wengen and from 5/3-6/3 stay in zurich because we have a flight out at 11am.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 January 2020 at 23:48:32 #927697

Remember how small Switzerland is. It is easy to travel from a central base to many places. Luzern is well connected to other places, but it is personal choice as to what you feel is ‘too long’ a journey for a day trip. In particular Luzern – Wengen takes 2.45 hours

Anna
    6382 posts
    10 January 2020 at 8:20:12 #927698

Hi fanabanana,

Ideally you should choose your base town based on your itinerary. As 1960man pointed out, Lucerne is strategically located and well-connected to the public transportation network. You could do day trips to a lot of places including Bern, Zurich and the mountains (Rigi, Pilatus & Titlis), and even Wengen on a day trip is possible.

But if you wish to explore other places in the Jungfrau region such as Mürren, Grindelwald and Lauterbrunnen (not just Wengen), you have to consider that travelling back and forth would mean spending more time on the train. That’s not actually a bad thing and it’s a personal choice. If you have a lot of luggage with you and don’t like to pack and unpack too many times, pick 1 base. Or pack light and stick to 2 nights in Lucerne and 2 nights in Wengen 🙂

Remember, it’s easy to plan your journey with the SBB timetable. You can download the app from this page: http://www.myswissalps.com/aboutswitzerland/practical/websites

If you are considering getting the Swiss Travel Pass as suggested by Zyla, you can find more details here: http://www.myswissalps.com/swisstravelpass

Regards,

Anna

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    10 January 2020 at 12:48:36 #927699

Actually, 2.7167 hours, or, 2 hours 43 minutes. 😉

Every minute in Switzerland is precious! 😉

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Base town Lucerne or staying at multiple towns?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11070 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.