Questions about Swiss train schedules and stations

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 September 2017 at 19:15:31 #813265

I’ve looked around the site, but haven’t encountered the answers I need. I’d so appreciate some help.

1)I’m landing in Zurich airport on Sunday 1 Oct. I have a Swiss Travel Pass. I want to take a train to Lucerne. I’m staying at the Hotel Central, which tells me it is “right near the train station”. But which station? I see numerous choices for Lucerne stations. Once I know to which Lucerne station, is it easy to find the trains once I deplane? I will not be checking bags. Do I just walk right onto the train with my STPass and passport with nothing else needed?

2) To leave Lucerne on Monday 2 Oct, I will take the trains to Wengen. I see trains to Interlaken, but nothing comes up when I input Wengen.

3) The train to Interlaken is part of the GoldenPass so I realize I need a reservation. Once I make a reservation online, must I print something out to show on the train? I leave the US tomorrow for Europe. If the reservation receipt must be mailed, I won’t be here to receive it.

Answers to these will make me a lot less nervous about arriving in Switzerland. I’m new to this and trying to feel my way around. Thank you ever so much to anyone who takes the time to help me.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    14 September 2017 at 23:07:55 #869826

Hi linmyoung and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Q1. I’m staying at the Hotel Central, which tells me it is “right near the train station”. But which station? I see numerous choices for Lucerne stations.

A1. If you look up your hotel on booking.com/hotel/cent ral-luzern-luzern.html you will find a map. The Hotel Central Luzern is close to the main station (Hauptbahnhof).

Q2. Once I know to which Lucerne station, is it easy to find the trains once I deplane?

A2. The SBBTimetable http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable will tell you what platform you need at the airport station.

Q3. I will not be checking bags. Do I just walk right onto the train with my STPass and passport with nothing else needed?

A3. Correct.

Q4. To leave Lucerne on Monday 2 Oct, I will take the trains to Wengen. I see trains to Interlaken, but nothing comes up when I input Wengen.

A4. Check http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable – it works for me.

Q5. The train to Interlaken is part of the GoldenPass so I realize I need a reservation.

A5. Reservations are optional and most likely not needed at that time of year.

• The thread ‘Questions about Swiss train schedules and stations’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11060 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.