Best pass: RT Zurich-Gimmelwald + Berner Oberland

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 August 2012 at 21:39:40 #805532

Hi,
    I will be traveling alone in Switzerland as follows from Sept 2 to Sept 7:
    – Sept 2: Public transportation from Zurich airport to Gimmelwald. (I will stay overnight in Gimmelwald the nights of Sept 2 to Sept 5.)
    – Sept 2 to 6: Various trains, cable cars, lifts, funiculars, buses to get to mountain views in the Berner Oberland, such as train to Kleine Scheidegg and gondola to Mannlichen. Also in Berner Oberland I may take public transportation to beginning points of hikes/bike rides, or from end points of hikes/bike rides.
    – Sept 6: Public transportation from Gimmelwald back to hotel around Zurich (don’t know which hotel yet)
    – Sept 7: Travel from Zurich-area hotel to Zurich airport

What would be the best travel pass or passes to buy for this travel on these dates? Thanks! 🙂

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15471 posts
    14 August 2012 at 2:00:53 #836931

Hi Darum,

Pricewise, there won’t be much difference between the Swiss Card and the Swiss Half Fare Card. The Swiss Card includes your transfers to Gimmelwald and back to Zurich, and a 50% discount on further tickets. You may have to pay the full price for the short trip to the airport on September 7 (some hotels have a free airport shuttle). The Swiss Half Fare Card provides a 50% discount on all trips.

Another option would be the Regional-Pass Bernese Oberland. This would be the better choice if you plan to make longer trips, or if calculations shows that it’s cheaper.

• The thread ‘Best pass: RT Zurich-Gimmelwald + Berner Oberland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.